No sir, ash pans seem like they're more trouble than they're worth.

So I bought a pooper scooper and it works like a champ!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L68MY6S/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1498040354&sr=1-15&keywords=pooper%2Bscooper&th=1&psc=1[/ame]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...54&sr=1-15&keywords=pooper+scooper&th=1&psc=1
Really?! No problems here!

I've seen a few ppl using the pooper scoopers
e27125223b19c1f3aaaba86e7f9d419a.jpg
84d99cf837def8bec6a14066f5cd3326.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...54&sr=1-15&keywords=pooper+scooper&th=1&psc=1

I use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. i crush down to flatten out the high sides and put in the bottom of the drum. Then i put the charcoal basket on top of it. When im done with a cook i just lift out the aluminum roasting pan empty the old ash, replace and start over. i used one pan for 2 years.

New UDS Builder

I wanted to thank everyone for the posts. I'll admit, I've only read through page 155 but plan to keep pushing on. I went ahead and built mine using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. I'm Seasoning it now using cheapo Wally World charcoal. Unbelievably steady temperature results. So, thank to everyone for posting and helping newby's like myself. I'm looking forward to continued BBQ education!

Great barrels one problem

finally found some really good barrels for making my UDS. They're in great condition and had Vaseline in them. However they have the dreaded red liner in them. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, however I am undecided on method and looking for additional input.

1 somebody mentioned using a stripper such as citristrip or something non-toxic this could be a very possible option just wondering who has actually had luck with it and how did you go about it.

2 weed burner have heard mixed things does it actually work and how much propane you go through how long does this take.

3 doing a big old burn really is NOT an option where I live would have to make special arrangements for this

My first UDS

After researching some of the great ideas that the brethren have posted, I decided to build my own UDS that I'm pretty happy with. Started on it last weekend and completed it this weekend, about 4 short days all tolled. I loaded about 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal in it to season the internals and racks.

I started with a new barrel with no coatings of any sort that ran me $80. Because I wasn't completely certain about the final design I ended up buying more hardware that I decided I wasn't going to use. And I bought a Weber cooker on Craiglist just for the lid. I have a welder and fabrication tools, so I utilized that which seemed easiest and hassle-free.

Bought a Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer for it which is really nice, warning me of presettable upper and lower temps for the smoker and meat, and programmable cooking time. Next step is to add a PID controlled fan to maintain steady smoking temps.

If I can figure out how to post images I'll update my post showing construction details.

Most find a PID/fan/ATC not really needed to maintain steady smoking temps with a UDS but go for it. I almost get walked into by people all day long who cannot go the the break room without looking down at their cellphones every step. Folk do like their gadgets but don't confuse like with need.

My first UDS

After researching some of the great ideas that the brethren have posted, I decided to build my own UDS that I'm pretty happy with. Started on it last weekend and completed it this weekend, about 4 short days all tolled. I loaded about 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal in it to season the internals and racks.

I started with a new barrel with no coatings of any sort that ran me $80. Because I wasn't completely certain about the final design I ended up buying more hardware that I decided I wasn't going to use. And I bought a Weber cooker on Craiglist just for the lid. I have a welder and fabrication tools, so I utilized that which seemed easiest and hassle-free.

I opted to use three-point suspension for everything. As long as measurements are on spot there shouldn't be any reason to use more. The Weber lid mod consists of 1/8" x 1 1/2" aluminum strip pop riveted to the inside of the drum, about 3/8" above the lip of the drum. I used one pop rivet every 7" around the perimeter.

Bought a Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer for it which is really nice, warning me of presettable upper and lower temps for the smoker and meat, and programmable cooking time. Next step is to add a PID controlled fan to maintain steady smoking temps.

I think I've figured out the image posting protocol, so here are some images of construction details and comments.

uds-1.jpg
This was the barrel with my final choice of hardware attached. I opted to use 3/8" eye bolts to support the two 3/4" air intake and valve assemblies. Used the head of a ball peen hammer to slightly expand the eye opening to fit over the pipe. Cleaner ans easier than using a strap. Still needed to figure out how I wanted to design my fire basket and ash catcher tough...

uds-2.jpg
This weekend i got it painted, my ash catcher and a water pan/diffuser support fabricated. A cheap barrel dolly makes for easy movement...

uds-3.jpg
I have four air intakes, two with ball valves. The one on the rear is for a PID controlled fan, my next project...

uds-4.jpg
The rear vent is for a PID controlled fan...

uds-5.jpg
Here is 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal "seasoning the drum internals and racks...

uds-6.jpg
This is the burner stack. I'm using a Weber ash pan that sits on a cheap pizza pan, with the 19 1/2" tripod welded to a Weber charcoal grate for the water pan/diffuser that uses another Weber ash pan (for now). I used more of the expanded metal wired to the sides of the basket so that smaller charcoal wouldn't fall throught the Weber charcoal grate. The basket is wired to the grate rather than using fasteners...
uds thermo.jpg
I absolutely LOVE the Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer! Cheap and efective. Takes a lot of guesswork and uncertainty out of the equation.

Once again, many thanks to the brethren who have cleared the path

Build looks great! What color is that you used? Also, just my .02, a water pan isn't needed in these drums. It's a very moist cooking environment as it is. I'd use that lower grate for a diffuser plate and even direct grilling. I also have that same thermo, works great and customer service has been top notch. Probes have gone bad but replaced without issue.

Build looks great! What color is that you used? Also, just my .02, a water pan isn't needed in these drums. It's a very moist cooking environment as it is. I'd use that lower grate for a diffuser plate and even direct grilling. I also have that same thermo, works great and customer service has been top notch. Probes have gone bad but replaced without issue.

Agree on the water pan. On my last cook whenever I opened the lid I got steam cover on my glasses. Not smoke but steam and there was no water added anywhere in the UDS.
Also use that same thermo and enjoying it very much.

The build looks fantastic iowahill. Makes me wish I had some welding skills...

I'm trying to keep my build as DIY as possible. I wanted to add a nice vent like this one.
[ame]http://m.ebay.com/itm/181915005897?_mwBanner=1[/ame]

So I bought some parts and cut and drilled an ugly piece of metal with my new angle grinder :

y4mPsnirXjSrGleHcGc1dB7YHxEbyHq8-D4l1S2rtIQvi016at6Rvhm6E1IGpgFWaNHYL3vGTBASdbfJ4Kw_AfcEgpyLwTSa7ZjECCpZJJSKOfnyLXwucvJxYP2GGX02seLLfxJCWXimohLT--QrgNobKz1Wu1mg2f7d8XlsIp49kXnp6JWEk7WDcRHK8vSYkOcwoL-FePYG5Ly0yUuUbHuzw

Assembled and operational

y4m5wcETvHBbW2dNk1irgoHk7fbHm4TRp2NcURmhzjYVf-ixTMaTC2N0GtgAm8GsqeYfoWauQMm7tXkqsbE6INKthHwm70eg7dakIDrok0WD1_bopF12kXGgWS9vTof9vMoZ9c0HXawj7GaOkWANDtT8ibdiyJna_-c97f2oxaLbe92_YqfaWBaTDkGM3YXj7vEAjlzNaOErcwAdMTOmUSwiw

y4msRUMqq3nKbq9YgUrETnme0EULuXRSJOV_8Y34GoqqiY3NoSidxvpnDgaGDtU334oL2cey_y6fJfvcmcxWK5OfXngTKWGqYU8qAPe7uOf_MrjcZXEpRKB7Vhi3B6sIkxAMjlsGla32bXA-TK2Zw0rQnWbCLVeZmJ2zsKghhyOxLHX2wkJviBwVDBhk6iSRJm6rVc-kSjPGZhfhD5ZHBQoWQ

Does it work? I'll find out in a few hours.

Worked out very well. I'm now able to get higher temps. Above 300f.
Reverse seared steaks

y4mR6sJpr8Dgvcj1KF3CfxxZk5q9LCDDOavQHwYaUWTvlLzKocXYgXvMFGNN0nXBht_8H69x05wuIVJeaQ4k4zg3FsviMtaGPghZEvj_vboS8Ja-iH1LzFuX7RcCJrIyd1gQqCxSimH9eqa2xZYSYiXUhJdWvJvTrkfrvsfH2UiY_1GfSd5FD3ySg6felDwatJphH1kd304M5FHYvTvPALWBQ

Shrimps and veggies with the lid on

y4mY1HzZTFBH3U0Q7Y94xUj931B77Td487TFyyxA0TEHfxtZDSSCiq8aWa_bTM2pO5KnAOtpTUcUQAmoIB_7dQWwH5pNKo1yvvFAjhWe2d6dZPcC4xjTT9Cu7VKe9_8Pl2fS2kzhDG6qquiHddFHl4ky6RpePBaGLin2AZp7K3xKTvO0M8XVmJ9bY3YFc6DtZt2NDiL3OM8OKy-0d8FiI2uuw

And seard with lid off

y4mF3KSbBraB6ROW4ABBaQZUCeloWAVTpLqfQDMK_kkhnvdRBnCKijCZZMegxrLI9zbTtSTihQjhwYnmDpidHzIcIgQ5NLJKNSFt3IqsL7a1IYJEySFa7y6CDtrxLNuAU0aP1iB2ov5gx0nJKcT3AQiHW0aXLLa41Gk4W-AiCwFsgPm_nw9bl2EAU62AOtlLsAzawmwqMe6ot0WSdxFnrmLvA

Hello I'm currently working my way through this monster of a web forum! Currently on page 560, nearly there! I've started my build and have a question. I've gone for the three intake design, using one ball valve (included in the three). I've just realised I've drilled 1/2 holes using 1/2 nipples, and my ball valve is 15mm internal opening (sorry I'm from the UK so don't know 15mm is in old money!). I've realised everyone is using 3/4 intakes and balls valve. Am I going to have an issue with temps using this smaller size? Thanks in advance, and this forum is awesome!

You guys have inspired me so much I have built my own PBC this week.

Used an old free oildrum, burnt it in twice with big fires overnight.
Installed the hardware and did a dry run with my ThermaQ probes to see the temps. I was amazed at the length of time that this thing can go on one batch of charcoal briquettes. I used a 5kg bag (11 pounds) and started the cooker up at 17:00. Next morning at 07:00 it was still on temp. At about lunch the temps started dropping despite max airflow throught the bottom vents.

Doing some pork ribs for my first run. Here are some pics:

382425e5cf060b2601826f8faf12c354.jpg

ef82ffeff9092f31de8ef6b4c3dd8d38.jpg

c49ba66e42afb7ab9ade384c50a482f4.jpg

9193b5901fece8f7ca5b9fe7c416f976.jpg

5c6471735539bc6068948f61336d322f.jpg

Back