• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Masterbuilt Gravit Feed

Looks like a good starter unit for people to get into the BBQ arena. Like any Chinese product, the end user will always get what they pay for. I'm not a gravity feed guy but if I was just getting started I'd consider one of these Masterbuilt units to get my feet wet in the hobby. I've been around long enough to know not to set my expectations too high for a 500 buck gravity fed unit especially considering the amount of steel and labor it requires to build a quality unit. I'd be willing to bet the cost of steel alone would be more than 500 bucks to build a quality smoker like some of the ones built in the USA. You've got a cooker that's being manufactured in China and then shipped to the United States for a price significantly lower than 500 bucks as Masterbuilt still has to distribute the product and make a profit, the retailers selling them to the end user still have to make a profit. I'll be curious to see the longevity of this product, again I would not set my expectations too high.

It meets all the expectations for me so far. Like you said at this point longevity is the only concern a really no way to figure that out but time.

A little birdy told me that the Old Country GF will be in Academy stores very soon...
I'd wait to at least see the prices before ordering the Masterbuilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Different Animal than a Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker - it's a Gravity Fed Charcoal Grill that can you can Smoke On. A Charcoal Pooper - they created a new breed/ category based off a pellet pooper -- just different fuel........

Which some Folks Will Like but It's Not for Me...... can’t run it Rain or Sleet, during Power Outages or Cold Wind Or High Winds like an Insulated Cabinet..........can’t leave it in your driveway for years at a time........

Last edited:
Never used a insulated gravity feed made with 1/4 inch steal so can't compare with that. I have used many charcoal grills/smokers and 1 pellet grill. All I can say is it works (dosen't belong any where near a conversation about pellet cookers from my point of view).....No disputing your 2nd point on durability though. Only time will tell.

"Dear Santa, I know that I haven't been a real good boy in the past year but I was wondering if you could swing the Masterbuilt gravity fed for me..."

Hey, I know I'm getting nuthin- but it's worth a shot, right?

The reviews I've seen are pretty positive. I have a feeling that if the reviewers are being honest, then the bad stuff about it would come out too. Longevity can't be known until the first one gets reported to be put on the curb or showing rust like a 70's Vega.

This may not be the cooker for everyone. But it might check enough boxes for a lot of people to take a shot at it- whether they actually need it or not.

Definitely an interesting cooker... but have not cooked on nor seen the new Master Built GF grill in person yet. That said, it’s their warranty that would have me the most concerned. 1 year warranty and no coverage on paint/rust as “the paint may burn off during normal use”. I realize manufacturers don’t typically warranty paint/finish, but the way the warranty is worded just scream cheap to me... lol. For charcoal, I’ll just stick to my kettle :)
90611945e89918330089263875d5f6a8.jpg

I like the idea. No freakin insulation.
As far as warranty, it is only a $500 unit.
As far as paint, my vertical cabinet had extremely glazed, checked paint within 3 months of use. And it only got worse. I gave up caring. Black paint is cheap. Which helps hide all the other flaws.

Did some ribs last night at 275 unwrapped. Pulled them a little after 4 hours. The baby backs could have come off a little sooner but still tasted great.

Attachments

• 20191206_222517.jpg
    20191206_222517.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 20191206_223752.jpg
    20191206_223752.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 437
only holds one brisket?? Ok

Sometimes thats all a person needs.

Uh oh- I can see you're not exactly holding to the party line of "Bigger is Better".

Someone should be in contact with you soon to get you the remedial help you obviously require. :razz:

Going bigger can be better - no doubt. But sometimes a smaller option can work out just dandy too.

I have a buddy who has a big Shirley trailer - all clean and tidy i-n his garage. He takes it out when he has a large cook, or it's not too hot, or it's not too cold, not raining and he has seasoned wood to run in her. So- it gets used "occasionally". But, boy it is nice!!

I think a fella ought to have all sizes and style of cookers that he wants. Big - small- and in between.

Although I haven't done it I don't see a reason you couldn't fit 3 after buying the extra grates. Should fit 2 easily out of the box.

Surprised at all the negativity around this unit. The only person that has one is cranking out killer looking food. Nothing wrong with a $500 unit even if it is not built to last a lifetime. It might be the unit that finally convinces someone to take the leap and start into this crazy hobby.

If I were to go the pooper route, I would get this rather than a pellet pooper.

I'd definitely consider that. Tell me, how is the smokey flavour compared to a stick burner. Is it close?

I'd say its more comparable to what you would get from a weber. Once the chunks combust they do burn pretty clean.

If you use facebook check out masterbuilt gravity series fan group

Attachments

• 20191206_184541.jpg
    20191206_184541.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 513
Back