• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

High Temp Brisket Try

Pig Headed

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying a high temp brisket today. Put a 10 lb flat on at noon. Plan on cooking at 350* and wrapping at 170* I will start probing at 185* every 20min 'till probe slides in very easy. I will post pics later.

I did this a month or so ago. Came out great. Don't go by temp once foiled. It's done when there is no resistance to a probe/fork etc. Enjoy!

2 hours into the cook. Temps not what I want, too low. Brisket at about 155-160, pit temp around 285-300.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 282
A 10 lb flat? Thay must have been a 15 lb+ packer before it was separated!

Did you inject? I've done several hot briskets and I have always injected them. Also, when I'm cooking hot I foil by color rather than temp. I learned that from a seasoned high temp cook :rolleyes:

It was a 9.97lb flat that I got from Costco. Must have been a big packer. Yes I injected and put some Stubbs marinade on when I foiled. Brisket was done at 3:30. 3 1/2 hours. It was 192*. Will cool for 2 hours and I will cut it at 5:30. I'll let you know. I can't believe a 3 1/2 hour brisket. Hope it's good. Got a pan of salt on now for future rubs.

It was a 9.97lb flat that I got from Costco. Must have been a big packer. Yes I injected and put some Stubbs marinade on when I foiled. Brisket was done at 3:30. 3 1/2 hours. It was 192*. Will cool for 2 hours and I will cut it at 5:30. I'll let you know. I can't believe a 3 1/2 hour brisket. Hope it's good. Got a pan of salt on now for future rubs.

Good luck Ron... Hopefully you get the results you want.

PS - Never heard of anyone smoking salts before. Interesting. How long do you do this ?

Vinny, I smoke salt to add to my homemade rubs. I usually smoke it for about 2 hours. The brisket came out pretty good. Not my best, but not a bad first attempt at this method. It wasn't dry, but could have been a little more moist and probably could have cooked another 3-4*. Here's the final result. Sorry about the pic. quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 240
Looks great from here Ron!

Can you notice the smoke in the salt?

Looking really good there pig headed. not bad at all. one step closer to the perfect one.:-D:cool:

That looks nice!

I've noticed my neighborhood Costco had large flats in addition to the trimmed flats. I asked about whole packers and they just shrugged their shoulders? Farkers!

And people have been telling me for years that I could not smoke a Brisket in 5 hours. Right!!!
Looks good. I would NEVER take 12 hours to smoke a Brisket when they come out as good OR better in 5.
You show 'em Pig Headed Man!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back