Meat grinder?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at sausage making and was looking at some from Walmart and Harborfreight. It would only be an occasional use grinder so I don't want to spend a lot just to find out I am not really all that interested.

So does anyone have any experience with those models or maybe know of an equal brand and price I could look at. I know you get what you pay for but It should give me an idea if I want to presue the art.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

I had one that looked a little like both of those. I think it was a Braun, about $70-$80. It worked well, again, they will usually grind the meat great, but if you are gonna try and use it to pipe the sausage into casing, you will probably be disappointed and quit. They are just not made for that.

you could try northerntools.com and get one like this- http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989_36989
You can also find similar ones on ebay for 70 to 90 bucks. they will be fine for the occasional grind. I had one and the gears stripped after a couple of years so i got one of the commercial grinders from cabela's. can't go wrong with one of those if it fits your budget.
You can also get a stuffer from northerntool.com as well.- http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308623_200308623 that's the one I use and it works well.

Seem s if you visit northern tool site and register the stuff you view miraculously comes on sale. I was going to buy that one but got a Bass Pro LEM for Christmas.

lowe's

we bought one at lowe's for 50.00 and an 20.00 replacement plan for 5 years it is on it's 3 year right now and 14 deer latter and still going
we are trying to blow this thing up to get an new one
this has been the best deal i have ran in to

york

Just finished grinding 20lbs of sausage, by hand. I have a 32 hand grinder, personally for no more than I do at a time I am not interested in a smaller electric. That thirty two will get it!

Just finished grinding 20lbs of sausage, by hand. I have a 32 hand grinder, personally for no more than I do at a time I am not interested in a smaller electric. That thirty two will get it!

I don't know the price difference in manual vs. electric but if the manual ones are less then you can use the money you save and put it towards a dedicated stuffer.

I used the grinder to stuff my first time............I almost decided I'd never do sausage again. I didn't for over two years. This last time I made em was my second time and I used a stuffer. Makes the process SO much more enjoyable. By the way, I have the Waring Pro model. Works like a charm. Really comes down to what you need and how much you think you will use it. But the basic little home jobbers do a fine job.
Let us know what you decide. Also, the best deal I found on stuffers was the Grizzly 5 lb model.

Dave, if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, get the grinder for that and then check out ebay for a stuffer. There is a guy here near DM that sells a 5# stuffer for around $85.

Thanks to all for your advice. Looks like the search is now on for a dedicated stuffer, some how I new this was not going to be as cheap as I had hoped.

Buried deep in the dark dank bowels of my basement is hidden my mothers old hand grinder. I have looked but have not located it as yet. I know it is there so I will have to dig a little deeper and as usual when I take on this kind of task I will find all kinds of things that will distract me from my search but It will be found.
Dave

Dave I purchased a commercial Cabelas grinder.
It came with the stuffing tubes and we made a bunch of venison sausage with it.
Its kind of expensive but their grinders are on sale.

Dave, if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, get the grinder for that and then check out ebay for a stuffer. There is a guy here near DM that sells a 5# stuffer for around $85.

^^ what he said, unless you are gonna be grinding a bunch of meat, stick with a kitchenaid attachment!

Thanks to all for your advice. Looks like the search is now on for a dedicated stuffer, some how I new this was not going to be as cheap as I had hoped.

Buried deep in the dark dank bowels of my basement is hidden my mothers old hand grinder. I have looked but have not located it as yet. I know it is there so I will have to dig a little deeper and as usual when I take on this kind of task I will find all kinds of things that will distract me from my search but It will be found.
Dave

See if you can find the hand grinder, it sound like it would work great for your needs. Then spend the money on a stuffer, like Boatnut & others, I got mine at Northern Tool and it works great!

It will make sausage making much eaiser, you will enjoy doing it, and if you eat a lot of sausage, you will like the product better and will probably pay for the stuffer in 1 year!

Dave I purchased a commercial Cabelas grinder.
It came with the stuffing tubes and we made a bunch of venison sausage with it.
Its kind of expensive but their grinders are on sale.

Bull, do you use it to pipe too? How does it work?

Back