Beast on Wheels

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been talking about it for a while on here, and planning it for almost a year, but I'm finally almost finished mounting my pit, The Beast, onto a trailer. I've got tons of room for storage, and the trailer seems pretty balanced front to back so far, which was my biggest concern. My next biggest concern is how left to right weight distribution, but I'm not as concerned about that, as pits with these weight dimensions are built like this all the time. Anyway, lemme know your thoughts. I'm hoping to finish up a few welds, paint it, and then take it out for a maiden voyage and practice cook this weekend. Maybe even do a Low Country Boil on Friday night if I can get a regulator.

dmp

Attachments

• Trailer-Pit-Front.JPG
    Trailer-Pit-Front.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Trailer-Pit-Tongue.JPG
    Trailer-Pit-Tongue.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Trailer-Pit-Back.JPG
    Trailer-Pit-Back.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 172
That thing is a beast! Trailer looks great. Can't wait to see it in action.

Looks great!:cool: Any plans yet on how you will determine the left/right weight distribution?

Looks good. Check your bearing frequently including after the first five miles. Touch test the tire to make sure it does not get too hot. If it does get super hot use a foil heat shield till you can weld a real heat shield in. Now go cook some dead pig.

Any plans yet on how you will determine the left/right weight distribution?

The first test will be to hook it up and drive it 6 miles from the shop to the house and see how it handles. After that, I was hoping to find a scale so that I can weigh the whole thing, each wheel, and the tongue seperately. Any more advice from those with trailer mounted stick burners would be appreciated.

dmp

I have always tried to put about 60% of the weight on the left (driver's) side. On most roads the road has a "crown" that is higher in the middle than at the sides, you don't want the majority of the weight on the "downhill" side (tip over mod).

I have always tried to put about 60% of the weight on the left (driver's) side.

Thanks, but if I manage to get 60% of the weight on the driver's side, I'll be very, very lucky! That pit is way too heavy to get 2/3 of it's weight on the other side. I figure I'll be "lucky" if I can get it to 75/25, though I am trying to get as much heavy stuff as possible on the passenger side: I even used heavier tube on that side of the trailer!

dmp

Watch the clearance on the stack. Can't quite tell how far up it sticks.

Back