Got a Stoker.

I have a couple Stoker units. The funny thing is I have called John many times and he has always answered my calls. I called a few weeks ago to place an order and a gal answered on the first ring. I swear by the Stoker with my Stumps Smoker, I can set it at 225 degrees and it won't vary more than 1/2 degree over 12 hour period. Heck anyone who has seen me and my cooker at a comp can attest to that. It's like those Amazon ratings, some people say 5 stars some people say 1 star.... who is right???

Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?

I use my stoker to control my 2 uds's. Works great. John didn't have an adapter other than one he concocted for his own use. I use that and two holes for the temp and meat probe.

PM me if you have any q's. Used them at home and competition.

This would only be the case if the stoker and the phone are on the same network. If you leave the house and want to monitor your temps wouldn't you have to open up a port on your router?

If your external IP address (not the Stoker IP address) is 123.456.78.9 and you open port 8080, then will entering 123.456.78.9:8080 into your phone's browser work?

I know Verizon offers a MIMO device that allows 5 devices to connect to their broadband network from your connection. You could use any device that supports wifi to connect to this as well as the Stoker. Nice option over a single air card.\ and its still only $59.95/mo.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...&selectedPhoneId=4726&changingCompletedOrder=

Just called Rock's and was told that my Stoker should be shipped by Friday! I guess it was the probes themselves that were back ordered. Anyway, I'm happy and eagerly awaiting.

I have an BGE and 2 kids under 7... like all I hear about "The Stoker"...how much did it set you back? looking to ask for a Christmas gift.:-D

Skip the Stoker and getthe Guru DigiQII for your BGE and you won't be disappointed. It is simple to run and set and the customer service Is spectacular. I had a unit that went BOOBIES up and they had me send mine in and had me a new unit in less than a week. Someone is always available to take your call during business hours and it is smaller and easier to handle.
The key her is Customer Service!

Skip the Stoker and getthe Guru DigiQII for your BGE and you won't be disappointed. It is simple to run and set and the customer service Is spectacular. I had a unit that went BOOBIES up and they had me send mine in and had me a new unit in less than a week. Someone is always available to take your call during business hours and it is smaller and easier to handle.

I own both a DigiQ II and a Stoker. If you want simple, then get the DigiQ II. If you want the ability to monitor temps remotely, control multiple pits with one device, and/or monitor more than one piece of meat then get the Stoker. They both work equally well maintaining a set temperature.

Some really embrace the expandibility that the Stoker offers.

I happen to think my Stoker running 4 Eggs with 7 different meat probes is the best set up for my needs.

The top of the line CyberQ II Guru is limited to two pits.

The Stoker controller and the Guru CyberQ II controller cost the same but the Stoker can control an unlimited number of pits and meat probes.

Last edited:
Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?

I will this weekend. I already ordered mine but will be picking it up on friday. Its worth the two hour drive, forget this shipping business.

Nice heads up on how it saved your ass already original poster. Yes another reason to get it.

Also if anyone wanted to be super nerdy at a bbq event all they would have to do is setup a router inside their truck and hook up a wireless adapter to the stoker and BAM instant network. Granted you need a laptop, but that should have been given. You dont need internet to have a network(just clarifying for those that dont know). Or you can just eliminate the wireless adapter and run a cat 5 directly to the stoker from the router. This way you can walk around the park within range of your unit monitoring the whole time.
kris

The DigiQII and Stoker are very different, and not really even comparable. They cost the same, and they both control your pit temp; beyond that, they serve different needs.

The DigiQII does not connect to your network or computer. The CyberQII must be physically connected to a computer to get any networking or logging benefit. If your pit is located in an area where you can leave your computer within a few feet of it, or if you don't want to log your cook or view or control your pit from anywhere other than right at your pit, then the Guru is great.

The Stoker can be easily connected to your network, so you can house the Stoker nicely in a water-tight tupperware next to your pit, and go inside to monitor and control your pit. I put dinner on, go for a walk or take the kids out to do something, and manage my Egg so that the food is ready when we get home. Try that with any Guru - you're out of luck.

Both companies are run by American entrepreneurs. John (the Stoker owner) may not pay someone to answer his phone, but that might be reflected in lower costs for a more versatile product. He may not answer the phone the first time you call, but he doesn't abuse is customers the way almost any large company can (or does).

Mark

I spoke with someone a few times on the phone and its not the customer service you get when you call best buy(okay i kid, best buy blows too) but for a small mom and pop shop he took care of me the way i needed. Ill be picking it up tomorrow and elaborating more on my findings
kris

I fly model airplanes. The control systems have servos that move the control surfaces on the plane. A while back, I thought about connecting one of them up to my damper and using my Maverick Thermometer to monitor the temp. Using the radio, I could adjust the inlet vent to change the temperature. Yeah, I'm that lazy, but my pit is a CG, so I got tired of getting up every 15 freakin' minutes to adjust the thing. I was able to tame the beast so that I only need to check it every 1 1/2 to 2 hours now days.

Anyway, I ran across the Stoker a while back and it looks like a great unit. When and if I get tired of the UDS I'm building, I may get one the Stokers and BGE to play around with.

Back