Where and how do you put the thermometer probe in ribs??

B

BC3XX0

Figure I would pop my post cherry (other than the cattle call) with one that will make you guys laugh and I am being dead serious!!

Where and how do you put the thermometer in a slab of ribs. I just poked it in the thickest part of the meat without going through and without touching bone. Its standing straight up. I've been smoking them at around 240 and in 35 minutes, the temp probe is reading 165. Do I have a bum probe, or am I doing it completely wrong?

This is my first time smoking ribs.

Don't temp ribs. Do them by feel or appearance. Ribs will get done in about 5 hrs at 240. Pick up the slab with tongs at midpoint. When the ribs crack and want to fall apart at that point, they are done. Also look for the pullback on the bones themselves.

Don't temp ribs. Do them by feel or appearance. Ribs will get done in about 5 hrs at 240. Pick up the slab with tongs at midpoint. When the ribs crack and want to fall apart at that point, they are done. Also look for the pullback on the bones themselves.

Ahh!! Ok. Thank you!! Don't laugh at me too hard!:rolleyes::oops::icon_shy

If you really want to probe :shock: you can stick a toothpick between the bones. The toothpick should go in like a hot knife into butter. The bend test and looking for the pullback on the bones is better, however.

Follow his advice and give us some pics.

You can relax here and ask any questions you have and won't be laughed at 90% of the time. :biggrin:

How long would they take if you were to boil them in liquid smoke? Sorry had to do it. Yeah not a dumb question at all we were all newbies at one time.

like schutte said.. its the flex test. I pick up an end with a thumb and tell by that... its just a learning curve.

a few attmepts and your be able to decied how done they are and how done you want them. Ovviously, if u pick up and end and the rack splits apart, they are done(too done).

Another way is to twist a bone and judge by how loose it is and how much it has released. Bones that just twist out are 'fall off the bone done'. I usually pull them before they get to that.

Ummm!! Yeah what all them other guys said,, it's all true, Cept about the laughing part,, I think that is more like 98% of the time,, but behind your back,, so you won't get embarrassed,, J/K, lol ...

I might be ordering pizza!! I'm using a modified El cheapo Brinkmann!! It goes from 290 then I choke it down it goes to 215 then back to 290. This thing blows!! You can't go away from it for more than 15 minutes!!

When can I call it quits and finish in the oven???!

In better news, I read the whole UDS thread and have burnt out my barrel, so It might be ready by the weekend!!! I got the Brinkman for free, so I figured I'd give it a try!!

bc3xxo get your uds working and you will love it and never go back and like others we need pics ...

bc3xxo get your uds working and you will love it and never go back and like others we need pics ...

After reading the UDS thread I feel like I have been trained!! I'm a total newb not only to smoking, but cooking in general. I actually tried to incorporate the theory behind how the UDS works into modifying the ECB. It is seeming it was a fail though!! I'm hating this ECB, but reading this forum and what not made me hungry, so I'm trying it!!

Even the ECB can be a decent little cooker. After mods that is. Not nearly as user friendly as a drum though! Welcome to the addiction we call Q, Brother!

Even the ECB can be a decent little cooker. After mods that is. Not nearly as user friendly as a drum though! Welcome to the addiction we call Q, Brother!

Yeah, I'm fighting it out. I'm having fun though!! Wife is a little p'd that dinner will probably be at 10pm, but she's hanging tough for me!! Doing some searches on here and this thread have really eased my mind though!

I want to thank you guys again!!

if the ecb is spiking on you, take out some fuel. Unless you can use foil to make some makeshift gaskets.

BTW, 290 isnt so bad, just means your meats gonna finish faster(and have a littl less smoke flavor).

if the ecb is spiking on you, take out some fuel. Unless you can use foil to make some makeshift gaskets.

BTW, 290 isnt so bad, just means your meats gonna finish faster(and have a littl less smoke flavor).

Ive been shoving foil around the lid to smoother her down when she gets hot. It works pretty good, but I don't like having to babysit the thing every 10 minutes to keep it in range!!

BC, you are actually learning fire/temp control. Having to continually mind the fire is a good thing for you right now. You will appreciate other cookers as you get more involved but the basic master of temp control is absolutely critical. You will later on appreciate the farkin ECB as a learning tool. Then, you wouldn't take one if given to you for free.:biggrin:
Oh sorry, you posted about the probe in ribs. Like the other brethren said, probing ribs is not the way to tell about their being done. The bend test and watching the meat pull back from the bones is the deal. Babyback cook a little quicker than trimmed spares. Time is general from 3 - 6 hours depending on temps and the slab you have. The bend test and pull back from the bone are still the points to look at no matter how long they have been on the smoker. Good luck and keep posting with as many questions as you have.

Dont be afraid next time to let your ECB run at 215. Plan accordingly and give yourself plenty o'time. Every cooker has its own temp it likes to run at.

I'm using a modified El cheapo Brinkmann!! It goes from 290 then I choke it down it goes to 215 then back to 290. This thing blows!!

The first thing that I thought of was are you using the original ECB thermometer - if you are then there's about half of your problem :eek:. Get a decent turkey frying thermo with a 12" stem or a remote like the Maverick ET-73.

Don't be afraid to cook your ribs at around 280 - 300. Like was said earlier, they will just be done faster. I cook ribs high like that all the time. Ribs are ribs, every rack is a little different.

There is already a temp probe in them anyway, the bones. :-D Practice makes perfect. Cook lots of ribs. They taste good.

Back