• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Melissa Cookston Style Barbecued Baby Back Ribs Recipe

I got a tooth ache just reading the Rub Recipe. I'm sweet enough I like savory. Mustard is fer hotdogs, cheeseburgers & SC BBq sauce.

I did a half rack yesteday but was out of NM chili powder, went to two HEB's and no luck so I used some Ancho chili powder instead. Will have to try it again with some NM later cause it just seemed to much CP with the ancho. They were not bad but not the taste we are used to down here in South Tx. Really did not taste the mustard as she stated. I am always with an open mind but so far not impressed, now what to do with all this left over sugar rub?. That flavor sure would not win a contest down here imo.

I did a half rack yesteday but was out of NM chili powder, went to two HEB's and no luck so I used some Ancho chili powder instead. Will have to try it again with some NM later cause it just seemed to much CP with the ancho. They were not bad but not the taste we are used to down here in South Tx. Really did not taste the mustard as she stated. I am always with an open mind but so far not impressed, now what to do with all this left over sugar rub?. That flavor sure would not win a contest down here imo.

Toss it or doctor it up. I've made some rub from recipes out of books and just wasn't impressed. I kinda doubt this is her real comp recipe and if it is, then I bet she has a few secrets she's keeping to herself. It's crazy to think how winning flavors vary so wildly. Even within parts of TX itself.

Yes thats true JS, I seriously doubt thats the "world champ" rib rub. I may be better with the NM chili or another. Yes I have a couple of those plastic gallon tubs I keep around for all the rubs I dont like, mix them all together and add more salt and pepper and they make great brisket rubs for the bigger catering cooks and also great Xmas presents to my bil's, they alwasys love the rubs I give them, lol.

Pete and I have talked a few times, comparing notes. They're mustard on folks, whereas I'm a marinade the ribs type, otherwise we're almost identical, including the foil, but they put a little more A/J than I do because I've already marinaded mine in A/J/water... Depending on temps, BB's, +- 4 hours total. They do 2 out of foil, 2+- in foil, with 15 at end. I do 1.5 out of foil, 2.5 in foil, and I'll just brush on the very hot sauce at the end (the set up time in the box is plenty, IMHO). I knew our rubs were very similar, and they are. Mine has less sugar in it...

Pete and I have talked a few times, comparing notes. They're mustard on folks, whereas I'm a marinade the ribs type, otherwise we're almost identical, including the foil, but they put a little more A/J than I do because I've already marinaded mine in A/J/water... Depending on temps, BB's, +- 4 hours total. They do 2 out of foil, 2+- in foil, with 15 at end. I do 1.5 out of foil, 2.5 in foil, and I'll just brush on the very hot sauce at the end (the set up time in the box is plenty, IMHO). I knew our rubs were very similar, and they are. Mine has less sugar in it...

Ya know I was out of aj too and forgot to buy some when i went to town so did not use any. The foils had plenty of natural juice in there when I opened it up, no apple juiced needed except for an even sweeter taste not much though I would think.

JS the do but always get "this new and better rub I just came up with", ha ha.

Back