Whole hog, processed price per pound?

fortydegnorth

Found some matches.
Reaction score
My wife's family and I have an opportunity to get a couple hogs. My father in law works with a guy that raises them. He has made him a deal to sell us two, 250# pigs for $.65 a pound. I need to get the specifics but I think this is the pig whole, not hanging weight. He is charging $35 extra to butcher and my in-laws are going over to help with that. By the time it's gutted and all the butchered I know we won't get anywhere near 250# but I figured maybe 150#? Even then it would only be $1.10 or so per pound. Does this sound like a good deal? I've seen hogs sold locally for a lot more.

In Beijing pork price is more than $2 per pound.
remember our salary level is $500 to $1000 per month
jealous!

When you say "butcher" is that just slaughter or actually turn it into cuts? I just did two hogs I raised on Thursday and I paid more than what you're paying on feed alone. I take my hogs to a butcher for final processing and that part is $0.69 a pound. Throw in feed and I'm way over your cost. I would guess your 250 lbs on the hoof would be around 175 hanging weight, ballpark. Sounds like a winning deal to me...

That's butchered into cuts. It's a screaming deal in my opinion. The guy is not a professional butcher but he has a good reputation and nice equipment. This is not his normal price either, it's more of a "buddy" deal.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Last pig I bought worked out just over $2.50/lb after purchase, kill fee, butchering fee and taxes. So in the low $1 range is KILLER.

we sold hogs this year for $120 on the hoof, Hangin weight was just over 100Lbs. The the locker charges $20 for kill and $.46LB. for cutting with cured, smoked, and sausage products cosing a bit more.
Yes Its pricey but the customers we have are more concerned with "happy Hogs" raised on pasture with no antibiotics or hormones.
I'd say your getting a pretty good deal.

BTW the last 8 weeks old piglet I bought cost way more than you are paying total.

It had papers and was a Berk, but come on.

I'm going to double check with my in-laws before I sign on to this. I know it's a crazy good deal but I also think if something seems too good to be true......., well you know. I sure hope it's just a great deal because a freezer full of pig is never a bad thing.

Back