Need Italian sausage help

SmokedJohnson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Today my wonderful fiancee just gave me a new meat grinder/sausage maker for my birthday and I need to make some hot Italian sausage. I have been wanting to make my own since the first time I had one but I can't find a recipe that is appealing to me with google. The only thing I know I want in it is fennel seeds and crushed red pepper. Any help would be much appreciated. So the quicker you get me a recipe the quicker you guys and girls get to see the PRON.

I made some last night. My numbers may be off, but this is what tastes good to me.

5lbs of pork butt grounded
1oz of sea salt
1oz of crushed red pepper
2oz of paprika (for color)
1oz of fennel seed
garlic powder - 1/2 oz or so
black pepper - A tablespoon or so

You can adjust the quantities to your likening, if you like heat, up it to 2oz of red pepper.

Here 'ya go. Was that fast enough?

Watch the quantity of red peppers :twisted: , this one is hot. You can adjust lower if you want.... but I don't. If you are hesitant, go with a less amount, then fry up a test pattie. You can always add more.

Hot Italian (10 lb. recipe)

I honestly can't recall the source for this one. My copy was hand-written before preparing to post it here. This is my standard Italian sausage. I package some in bulk for spaghetti sauce, pizza toppings and sausage sandwiches. The remainder is stuffed into casings or packaged for fatties.

10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
1T cracked black pepper
3T kosher salt
5 t fennel seed
2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
½ C minced garlic
1 ¼ t thyme
1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t coriander
6 t sweet paprika
1 ½ C ice cold water

Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff.

Back