Fajita Marinade

Whisky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've made beef fajitas a number of times. Usually I just toss the meat in some homemade fajita seasoning, oil, lime juice, garlic and cilantro. Turns out great.

I was searching some old posts here and it seems the "real" way its done in TX is a marinade with pineapple juice, soy sauce and water. To me that just screams Asian, not Mexican???

I got guests coming on Saturday and I'm using this opportunity to clean out some freezers. So I have a whole venison backstrap I'm going to butterfly and marinade for fajitas.

Should i stick with my tried and true, or try the other marinade?

Also, any good side dish ideas for fajitas? Never made any spanish rice or beans before.

I believe the Pineapple/soy/water marinade is basically what a local TX chain called Pappasito’s uses. I use it as well and like it quite a bit. I take it out of the marinade, Dry it a bit and season with garlic and pepper in addition to the marinade.
3 parts Pineapple Juice
2 part Soy
1 part water
Depending on the cut 3-6 hours in the marinade (don’t do overnight). Skirt steak is on the short end of Time, but I’ll leave a thicker flank in for the Max recommended time or even an extra hour.

There are hundreds or thousands of variations for fajita marinades in Texas. If you want to try something with citrus juice google "Mama Ninfa's fajita recipe".

I've used Ree Drummond's fajita marinade the last two times I made fajitas and I think it rocks:

Blend until smooth:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 3 limes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

The recipe my friend who is originally from Mexico taught me is, Adobo (low sodium), soy sauce (low sodium) pineapple juice, garlic, some other odds and ends to your taste, let it marinate and then grill it. This is what I use for flank steak for carne asada as well. Not sure how authentic it is but, hey she is from Mexico and it tastes goooooood

I believe the Pineapple/soy/water marinade is basically what a local TX chain called Pappasito’s uses. I use it as well and like it quite a bit. I take it out of the marinade, Dry it a bit and season with garlic and pepper in addition to the marinade.
3 parts Pineapple Juice
2 part Soy
1 part water
Depending on the cut 3-6 hours in the marinade (don’t do overnight). Skirt steak is on the short end of Time, but I’ll leave a thicker flank in for the Max recommended time or even an extra hour.

Yep, the good old Agua Negra. Pappasitos uses it. Pretty sure El Tiempo uses it too. I am lazy. I usually just buy the fajitas marinata from my local mexican meat market. Really good though

Friend of mine seasons steaks with SPOG as if he was going to grill. Adds equal parts Worcestershire/Low Sugar Orange Juice And olive oil. Seals in a bag at least overnight, usually a couple days. He uses thick steaks.

There are hundreds or thousands of variations for fajita marinades in Texas. If you want to try something with citrus juice google "Mama Ninfa's fajita recipe".

Thank you for the link to her marinade, I'm making tacos this weekend and I'm going to use it with skirt steak.

Just use Uncle Chris Gourmet Steak Seasoning, no marinade needed.

We constantly have fajitas in the fridge here. It's one of her favorite 'grab and go' meals for lunches, or an easy dinner when I'm on the road. And, with just a few changes in toppings, you can make it different every day.

That said, I've tried a ton of marinades for them. I've made my own, bought all the store seasonings I can find, and even used a few premade liquid marinades. So far, her favorite was done using Penzeys Fajita seasoning. I slice a skirt take into a few larger chunks, mix up the seasoning with the lime juice and oil that it calls far (rounding up to another pound) and then add in sliced onion and bell peppers. Let it sit for a night or two, and cook em up. Every time I use another seasoning, she says it's still not as good as this one.

There are some really good looking marinades posted here, but we generally have to avoid all the fruit juices with our diet, sadly.

My Grandfather (an old cowboy from south Texas who spoke no English, born 1901.. pretty authentic) cooked skirt steak (and any other kind of meat as they only ever had a pot belly stove in the house, and that was usually reserved for Rice and Beans and making homemade tortillas) over a bed of mesquite coals. As skirt is tough, he would marinate with salt and pepper and use either orange, lime, lemon juice, or even plain old vinegar. They were poor, so the acidic portion of it it was always with whatever they had on hand or could afford. My dad says it was always good eatin.

Fast forward to today – and my cousins in Texas (and I) usually squeeze lime juice and any one of Bolner’s Fiesta Brand many Fajita seasonings. They are based out of San Antonio, but I can find their stuff at many of the Hispanic markets up here in Michigan. You can also order online – and at least here in Michigan, I can get it by Saturday according to a quick google.

I just lay out the meat on foil, squeeze lime juice over the meat, and moderately season the meat with the Bolners. Flip meat over, and repeat, and wrap it up to marinate. Surely you could squeeze a fair amount of lime juice, throw some fajita seasoning (maybe dip a finger in and test it to see if the seasoning level is of your liking) and the juice into a zip lock bag and shake it up and marinate in a bag if you choose. Especially with beef I don’t like to let it marinate more than about 8 hrs max if the skirt is butterflied because it just gets too limey tasting in my opinion. But a whole cut of skirt and 24 hours is fine, and I prefer the whole cuts because it comes out juicer. The butterflies can dry out pretty quick if you’re not careful.

I’ve also heard of people using sour orange juice too, but I’ve never tried it.

Surfin Sapo on youtube does a lot of South Texas Fare – you might get some ideas from him too. He’s in Corpus Christi, so pretty authentic in my opinion.

I'm going to have to try the Pineapple Juice and Soy sauce thing. That sounds like a great combo.

We're a family that has fajitas once a week. My Texas style recipe is Fiesta brand fajita seasoning, pineapple juice, cilantro, achiote powder or the easier to find substitute is goya sazon cilantro w/ achiote. The achiote gives the meat, especially chicken, that nice red color you'll see with marinated fajita at your local Mexican supermarket.

A fun side is Mexican street corn. There are tons of variations on how to make it but I grill the corn in the husk for about 20-30 mins rotating every 5 or so. I'll pull the steaming hot husk off and grill a few more minutes to get some char on the corn. Bring it inside and rub it down lightly with mayo, crumbled queso fresco, cilantro, tajin seasoning. It's not a side I personally love to eat a whole lot but everyone else seems to love it so I make it when I have a crowd.

Last edited:
I use this! Let it sit overnight then cook it on the blackstone, comes out great every time.

Attachments

• 41lz2srbaqL.jpg
    41lz2srbaqL.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 56
All these recipes sound great for fajitas! A little confused about the use of pineapple, sugar, and oranges. This reminds me more of Tacos Al Pastor. You know the one that's carved on the vertical fire spit. Just curious is all.. I like the lemon, butter, peppery flavor on beef fajitas.

Back