Pork Butt Question

B

Baggerhog

I cooked 6 pork butts over two cooks in my Akorn Kamado. Each cook took just over 7.5 hours @ 250 degrees. I cooked three on each cook. I prepped all six the night before. The first three were just as expected. The second three were a bit tough and not as juicy. The only difference was the first three were at a temp of 42 degrees when it went on the smoker and the pit temp was 250. I pulled the butts after 4 hours and wrapped them. I then pulled the butts when the reached 195. The second three I had laid out and they were at a temp of 54 degrees when they went on the smoker. I wrapped them after 4 hours and again pulled them at 195 degrees.my question is can the second batch going on at a higher start temp cause them to cook different. I have never had this happen before.

The higher temperature isn't the issue. The issue is you are cooking by internal temperature for doneness. Each piece of meat is different thus you can not use internal temperature to test for doneness and get consistent results.

For pork butts to test for doneness, when you wiggle the bone and it starts to release easily, then the pork butt is done. I have had pork butts be finished from internal temperatures ranging from 194-206 degrees internal temperature.

I would think that the extra 8 hours sitting after prep would make more difference then the temp diff. although the 8 hours is the reason for the temp diff. I still think the rub/injection would have more to do with changing the meat over that time.. just my opinion.

The second set is the ones that were slightly tough. I also use a BBQ guru digi q pit/meat control system. The second set sat out for about 2.5 hours were the first set only sat out about 30 minutes. The bones pulled from all 6 quite easily. I have cooked over 40 butts and never had this happen. I was disappointed in the second set.

Back