• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anything butt

superior12000

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas for a anytime butt competition. You can do saveroy or sweet. Just seeing if y’all have any good idling can try.

Just so many ways to do pork butt. Brine, no brine. Dry rub. No dry rub till after smoked, add rub after pulling so all the meat gets the flavor from the rub.
Another method I've started doing. I slice around each muscle to separate slightly. Rub in/around an apple chipotle sauce. I make my own apple sauce and add chipotle then blend. But you could use store bought apple sauce and chipotle. Just watch how sugary the store bought stuff might be.
Makes a wonderful glaze and color. Again I add my rub to the pork while being pulled. I use the sauce on bacon, salmon, ribs etc before smoking. Everyone seems to love it. Sweet heat.
I start with 3 chipotle's to 3/4 of a quart of my apple sauce. Want hotter, add more chipotle. Easy to adjust.
Just a thought.

Just so many ways to do pork butt. Brine, no brine. Dry rub. No dry rub till after smoked, add rub after pulling so all the meat gets the flavor from the rub.
Another method I've started doing. I slice around each muscle to separate slightly. Rub in/around an apple chipotle sauce. I make my own apple sauce and add chipotle then blend. But you could use store bought apple sauce and chipotle. Just watch how sugary the store bought stuff might be.
Makes a wonderful glaze and color. Again I add my rub to the pork while being pulled. I use the sauce on bacon, salmon, ribs etc before smoking. Everyone seems to love it. Sweet heat.
I start with 3 chipotle's to 3/4 of a quart of my apple sauce. Want hotter, add more chipotle. Easy to adjust.
Just a thought.

I moved this to the competition section :-D

Ebi, Anything But (not butt) is a side category at many competitions. It means cook anything but BBQ :becky:

Superior, you should verify the rules with the organizer to see if there are restrictions on how it is cooked and the presentation. In general, desserts do well for anything but.

I have seen some crazy entries, however. At one competition a team cooked a bunch of seafood and turned in a seafood tower that had to have cost them $200 or more, all to win $100!

Last edited:
One of my favorite comps had both pro and backyard teams and they had an anything but category... which was defined as anything but the 4 meat categories... we judged both pro and backyard entries. I really looked forward to the anything butt because we might get ribeye steak, a lamb chop, twice baked potatoes, grilled shrimp or a dessert.

Back