My Turkey Experiment

BBcue-Z

Reaction score
I decided to do something different with my Turkey this year by cutting into pieces prior to cooking.
I started with 3 turkeys
Tday1.jpg

Separated the legs, thighs and wings, but kept the breast whole. I removed the back bone portion from the breasts, but kept the breast bone.
Tday2.jpg

This also made it easy to brine in the refrigerator, since I was able to use smaller containers to soak the pieces
Tday3-1.jpg
Tday4-1.jpg

24 hours later…
Tday5-1.jpg

Tday6.jpg

I placed the pieces on racks after brining and placed them back in the refrigerator for another 24 hours so the skin can dry out.
Tday7.jpg

Onto the smoker on T-Day, I added the wings an hour later so they wouldn’t over cook
Tday8.jpg

Tday9.jpg

Tday11.jpg

The cooking was done just few min shy of 2 hours
Tday12.jpg

Dinner is served :-D
Tday13.jpg

Tday14.jpg

Results:
It was the juiciest Turkey I’ve ever had :-D
The breast meat was perfectly cooked, since I was able to take it out when it reached 160 internal temp. And the wings were not overcooked, since I added them later and the dark meat was smoky and perfectly done under two hours. The cooking temp ranged between 300 to 350 and I was using the SFB.
I would say this was a very successful experiment. Carving was a breeze and turkey was tasty and tender (every part of it), and the cooking time was short. Since I rarely bring a whole turkey to the table, I think I’m cutting my turkey into pieces from now on :-D

Look's like it turned out really well...

Nice job & great pic's!!:clap2::clap2:

Thank's for posting this.

Looks like it turned out great! I've heard before that cutting them into pieces speeds things up a bunch. Seems they're right. Gonna try it next time out. Thanks! :grin:

When you think about it, Grandma had a roasting pan, an oven and a turkey. And a tradition was established. There's so much more flexibility on a grill.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It all looks great! Thanks for sharing your results and pics!

I might consider brining a turkey that way. I just don't have room to do whole turkeys. Great job on the pictures.

Wow it comes out a lot better looking too! I am doing this from now on thanks to this post. It seems to be the optimal way to getting great results from less of a hassle.

Looks great, and I commend your butchering skills! This is certainly something I'll try in the future.

It's looks good. Something to think about for next year. Thank you for sharing.

How is this possible? This idea is so simple ... Brilliant!
I agree with Aspen - great butchering skills, as well.

Super nicely done all the way around. Beautiful turkey.

Thanks for this. I want to smoke a turkeye, and maybe this is a more practical way to do so. :eusa_clap

Great idea. Simplicity is often the best approach. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for all the nice comments. I don’t know why it took me too long to try this. I’ve always known that different parts of the turkey cook at different times. I just had to separate them to achieve perfection :-D
Simple concept, as many put it nicely, and it really works.

Back