Comp Meats in Chicago

bogyo1981

Got Wood.
Reaction score
photo(2).jpg

photo(1).jpg

photo(3).jpg

photo(4).jpg
This is were I buy all my Comp meats. You are able to go through stacks of Pork Butts and Ribs and find the best ones. I buy leg quarters and trim them down to just use the the thighs but they have over a hundred pounds you can go through to match up identical thighs. The prices are very good, 1.69lb for pork butt, 1.99lb for spares, 3.49lb for baby back, 1.59lb for leg quarters. The briskets are Cryo-vac choice packers. Just remember to wear shoes and long pants because your walking around in a 30 degree cooler. And also try not to go on a holiday weekend its a mad house. I hope this helps people in the chicagoland area find there comp meats.

I agree its a beautiful place but ...
How can you go thru stacks of meat that are not cryovac'ed?
Do they give you a tub to carry the meat or does someone follow you around?

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
You are very lucky, I would kill to have a place like that around here. The BBQ gods must like Chicago.

I went there a while ago before I started competing. Totally forgot about it. I definitely need to go back and check it out. Thanks!!

I work about 3 miles away. It's definately a cool place. They carry beef too. They give you plastic gloves and bags to handle the meat. You select your own. Ribs and shoulderrs are hit or miss. Some times the quality is exceptional and sometimes you get shiners with freezer burn. It's luck of the draw. The prices are good though.

RD right now is about 1.34 per lb on pork butts, at least a week or so ago they were. I do like Peoria pkng, but between gas and price, I'm not there often.

I've passed by there riding the El on a Saturday before and the line was fifty deep outside the entrance. It's a popular place

Looks like a cool place.

rimshot! :caked:

I agree its a beautiful place but ...
How can you go thru stacks of meat that are not cryovac'ed?
Do they give you a tub to carry the meat or does someone follow you around?
Agreed. I am not really overly sensitive to this stuff, but it would give me pause to know I am picking ribs from a pile that has been combed over by other patrons.

Back