BBQ Brethren Throwdown..."Appetizers"...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weeks throwdown is..."Appetizers"...:razz:...Show us your balls, your wings, your ABT's, your fatties, and anything else you can smoke or grill that you wanna call an appetizer! :twisted:

Here are the rules...

1) It has to be grilled or smoked.
2) It has to be cooked during the current "throwdown" week...(Mon-Sun).
3) All pics must be submitted by 7:00 PM Pacific Time on Monday.
4) 3 pics per entry max.

The voting will begin on Tuesday evening after I've posted "vote" thread!
You will have until Friday to vote.

Next weeks throwdown will be...Whatever this weeks winner decides! :-D

Today I tried making an new appetizer, and I think it failed. I have a Plan B and C, but after this one I'm not too enthusiastic. Either that or I'm just too full.:biggrin:

I tried to make "Beanie Balls". The first problem was they were a little bit tricky to make. So an appetizer that is tricky to make should have a big "wow" factor (in my opinion).

These were little balls of pork sausage, pressed with my thumb to make a bowl, rubbed, and filled with smokehouse beans. Then topped with 1 or 2 pieces of burnt ends and warapped in pig-candied bacon. I applied a glaze towards the end.

While I thought this sounded great, while eating them it just tasted like meaty smokehouse beans. So I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

Oh well. Maybe this weekend I'll try something else.:icon_sad

No pics. It was a practice run. Just 4 of them for lunch. So it never happened.:biggrin: They looked and smelled good, and even tasted good, but a bowl of extra meaty smokehouse beans would have tasted the same with less effort, so what's the point?

i reserve the right to enter again, but last night, i made these gourmet redneck appytizers :biggrin:

ssapp-005.jpg

ssapp-003.jpg

ssapp-012.jpg

:shock:

Sweet...I'd hit that! :biggrin: BTW...you can enter as many as you like! :p

you'll be interested to know that i cut out the bread discs with a dizzy pig container :biggrin:

Those look pretty good Chris!, You're sure to get some votes ;) I would sure like to have some of those!

Thought that I would try my hand at one of these throwdowns. I did some salmon that I put in a brine overnight. I think it turned out pretty good.

20081206003-1.jpg

20081206007-1.jpg

20081206008-1.jpg

Thought that I would try my hand at one of these throwdowns. I did some salmon that I put in a brine overnight. I think it turned out pretty good.

20081206003-1.jpg

20081206007-1.jpg

20081206008-1.jpg

Yep...I'd say it turned out pretty good too! I love smoked salmon! :p Nice job! :biggrin:

i made official MOINK balls also! :biggrin:

dunked in thinned blues hog and
served with smoked blue crab

moinkballsII-006.jpg

moinkballsII-015.jpg

moinkballsII-022.jpg

:biggrin:

Pulled Pork Taco Salad and Pulled Pork Nachos. I realize they were assembled and may not be eligble but they make a great appetizer.
pork1.jpg

tacosalad.jpg

nachos1.jpg

I tried a take-off on Crescent Dogs for my entry. Lil Smokies wrapped in bacon, some topped with port wine cheese and some with pepper jack, then wrapped in half of a crescent roll and dusted with Pigs In A Polka Rub. They were smoked for an hour or so at 275 and served with Sticky Pig Mustard Sauce. Oddly enough, no one complained.

Ok guys here we go, my first entry. Smoked some little sizzler breakfast sausages (cause I thought we had a chub of JD but we didnt) Baked off some won tons in the oven. Mixed the sausage with some co-jack cheese and ranch dressing and finished in the oven for a few minutes. Tasty on a chilly Nebraska winter day.

smoke1214012Small.jpg

smoke1214013Small.jpg

Lil' Smoinks!

I showed the wife the competition on this thread and I may have convinced her that I need a better camera to compete in these throwdowns!:wink:
Bacon wrapped smokies dusted with Hoochie Mama rub and put to rest on some fancy schmancy crackers. The crackers got a dollup of Stubbs Mesquite and then some shreded cheese and melted. The Smoink then went on the cracker. To abide by contest rules, the ones I submitted were cooked over a live pecan fire..........in the fireplace no less!! It was too farking windy outside to do anything! Fire is fire, right? The submitted smoinks had a sliver of pickled jap and onion wrapped in with the bacon. They got plated with some hot pickled carrots, pickled garlic. These were farking good!!!

3108784661_10935f15f7_o.jpg

I also drizzled some Wooster sauce on em!
3108784669_2941748102_o.jpg

3108784691_48f83ebca1_b.jpg

Chit, I even went all Iron Chef on the presentation!
3109714218_aa5f3727d8_b.jpg

THe gift that keeps on giving.........bacon grease in the fireplace. The house still smells like bacon............hours later.

:grin:

Back