Pot O Pintos today

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Started a pot of Dr BBQ's "Real Pinto Beans" from his Big Time BBQ book. I made a few adjustments. I used 3 different chili powders. San Antonio, New Mexico and chipotle chili powders. Give ya'll some updates this afternoon.

Thillin, you cook those on the stove top or on the smoker?

Stovetop. I havn't tried in the smoker yet. Not sure if I want them to get alot of smoke. I usually add smoked meat for a hint of smoke.

I normally use some salt pork, with a lot of the fat cut off, for the meat in my pintos -- your comment on putting some smoked meat in there makes me wonder if I smoke the salt pork before I put it in, if it would be a big improvement?

Gonna try that next time :mrgreen:

Then a little cole slaw and some cornbread and I'm all set.
Man, now I need some pintos and they take too long to cook for dinner tonight!

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

Oh yeah, while we are at it. Why do they even grow any other beans than pintos?

Beans

Pintos are good but my favorite is Great White Northern with smoked turkey wing and leg hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:wink:

Sounds good!

Can you share the recipe? I don't have his book...

I do the HiMountain buckboard bacon cured pork butts and cut it into chunks to use in beans. Makes the best seasoning meat I ever had.

Can you share the recipe? I don't have his book...

Sorry keale.

This is copyrighted material, and is not a reprint.

DrBBQ is a Brethren in high standing, and has extended many courtesy's to the group (even having Phil host a Brethren only cooking class last month (or 3/31)

Just watch around here, as when good books like his hit a sale, people will post about it, and Ray will get what he earned.

I'll PM you a bean recipe that is pretty darned good (and I like the Doctored Bush Bean post by DFLittle in the Recipe link at the top of the page)

I normally use some salt pork, with a lot of the fat cut off, for the meat in my pintos -- your comment on putting some smoked meat in there makes me wonder if I smoke the salt pork before I put it in, if it would be a big improvement?

Gonna try that next time :mrgreen:

Ah yes--one of my favorites.

I use beef broth instead of water.
Lots, and lots, and lots of left over brisket, rib tips, ham, or whatever is in the freezer. Easily as much meat as beans.
I add finely diced bell peppers--green, red, and yellow for flavor and color. About 1/2 a pepper or so of each for 1 lb of beans.
I use finely chopped onions at the beginning for flavor and some larger slices one hour from the end for "texture".
I add a can of tomatoes, or a chopped up tomato and a can of tomato paste the last hour.

A little garlic sauce and spices to taste. I use 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 the last hour to layer the flavors.

Lots of fun and flexibility.

Good Luck.

TIM

You guy's are making me want to put on a pot of beans.

Finished beans with some cornbread cooked in my cast iron crappie pan.

Attachments

• IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 92
Back