What's the deal with the Yardley PA event...

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
being a State Championship? As declared by (Gov.) Ed Rendell? I thought New Holland was the championship. Did they lose that status? If not, how can you have 2 championships? Either way, I didn't know that it was up to the governer to declare championship status for any event.
Don't get me wrong, I thought Tom Christine put on a great event and I had a really good time cooking there, I am just a little confused about this.

If the state only has one Ch, then its a given that the GC goes to the jack, but states can have multiple state championships. The multiple winners go into a drawing to determine who goes to the jack to rep that state.

And, for EACH event, it always requires a Governers Proclamation to be listed as a state Championship.

Kansas and Missouri have several "State Championship" BBQ contests. It just means it has been sanctioned by the governer.

Tom said yesterday that the GC (Midnight Smokers) was going to the Jack so...?

Tom said yesterday that the GC (Midnight Smokers) was going to the Jack so...?

He was wrong.

They will be in the state draw with whoever wins New Holland.

I believe that if a contest has more than 50 teams, it is an automatic qualifier for the Jack. However, I don't think the BBQ on the farm was over 50 teams....

I believe that if a contest has more than 50 teams, it is an automatic qualifier for the Jack. However, I don't think the BBQ on the farm was over 50 teams....

yup, your right. I forgot about that catch too.

No it's not automatic. If a contest has more than 50 teams it doesn't need to have a proclamation but it still goes into the draw for that state.

47 teams at BBQ on the Farm was the last count I was told.. NJ used to have 2 state champhionships (Asbury and Wildwood) before Asbury got cancelled this year. MD has two still (Bel Air and Salisbury).

It is confusing....

To qualify for "The Jack," U.S. teams must have already won a competition in which 50 or more teams participated, or they must have won a competition of at least 25 teams that has been designated a "state championship". However, not only must these teams be culinary experts, they must also be lucky. With more than 100 teams qualifying each year ... and because of our limited space in Lynchburg ... we must also limit the number of the teams. So, in early September the names of the qualifying teams go into state lotteries to select the final competitors.

Back