First place chicken box.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I got my first walk in a KCBS catagory last weekend(7/18-19). A first place in chicken no less. here is the turn in box. Also my second place in everything else cat. Did armadillo eggs. Added one for the table captain.

Scores: 767,886,899,799,899,899

Attachments

• chickenfirst.jpg
    chickenfirst.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 331
  • eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
That's some nice looking chicken.....would you mind to edit your original post with the scoring? I'd say that is a 9, but I'd like to see if the judges agreed.....
Thanks!

Great looking box! Congrats on the the walk!

WOW, Great Looking....

Chicken and congrats on the call!

Not looking for secrets, but could you tells what did you cook the chicken on, time and technique?

Thanks,

UnYawn....
RonW.

Congrats! Looks like 9 to me! Want to come cook in Tennessee? I need lots of help with chicken.

Sure I will share.
Chicken prep. trim them day before. I cut the skin pretty close. Not much left on the bottom side. Also trim alot of the fat off. Dont want a judge getting that in there bite.
Then throw the thighs in a gallon ziplock and put in a whole bottle of zesty italian dressing. Allow to soak over night. In the morning after chewable coffee!!! I skewer the chicken skin tight. I just use bamboo skewers cut shorter. Only 1 per thigh. And sprinkle my chicken rub on both sides. liberally! the pan up untill cooking time. I do not rinse any dressing off of the thighs.
I use a Treager pellet cooker to do the chicken. Gets a higher temp. I set it at about 300. Put the thigh on it skin side UP!! cook for about 45-55 min. I spritz with apple juice, cider vinegar, water and secret ingredient(Applejack) a couplke times.Watching the temp. Then I turn the heat up to 325 and turn them over. Skin DOWN for 10 min or so . Watch very carefully so no burn. Then turn back over and temp to 300. baste every 5-7 min for a good color.

That is it. Also make sure to pull out the skewer before placing in turn in box.
Watch out if you use a treager and spritz with secret ingred. I lost most of my arm hair do to the flashback, :)

Hope that helps.

Back