Scored a Weber Ranch

Nice find, your going love the way it cooks. :wink:

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the compliments. There will be more updates posted here as we do more cooks on this kettle. On a side note, I was curious to see how much charcoal this thing would use.

This morning I peeked under the lid to see this:

At the start of the cook I had dumped an entire small (15lb) back of K-Blue on the charcoal grate. As you can see it looks like it burned a little less than 1/3 of its supply. I'm estimating about 4lbs of charcoal for the cook. It would have been interesting to let it go until it burned out just to see how long it would have lasted. I'm guessing, just like a WSM, most of this was burned getting things heated up. If we're all buying charcoal on sale like good little Kettle Cookers, then it burned about $1.00-$1.50 worth of coals.

Hopefully this will "extinguish" any worries about these things taking 12-bags to a cook. These grills are big, but don't seem to take an outrageous amount of coals for low and slow.

That 14 pound turkey looks like a cornish hen on a regular Performer, the cooking real estate it huge. And I really like your idea of the expanded metal keeping the coal off the kettle. I added some 1/2" expanded metal to my 26.75 OGT charcoal grate with great results, think I'll add a vertical like yours. Thanks for the idea.

Perspective.jpg
Looks like Father and Son :becky:

Nice score, where did you find the thin fire bricks. I would like them instead of the double thick ones I have

How about a Weber kettle pyramid picture? Smokey Joe on a Jumbo Joe on a 18/22 kettle on the ranch kettle.

Back