BBQ Grilling Served cold, intentionally

speedrcer1

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
To any judges out there.
If you were presented a Grilling entry, such as a seafood, that was intentionally served cool.
Would you accept or reject?

When I'm judging, feel free to send me cold lobster rolls :becky:

Accept. Temperature is not a criteria for any sanctioning organization's rules I've ever read.

if allowed, i would "garnish" with ice to reinforce the fact the entry is SUPPOSED to be cold.

Accept but..........
Ask Bentley and Kristin Meridith on team Pelletheads.com how well an intentional cold entry turns out. :icon_shy

If it's supposed to be served cold, ok, but KCBS rules to serving temps for bbq says...
Rule 17

g. After cooking, all meat
Must be held at 140° F or above

OR

Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:

Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less

h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later
reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated
so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at

least 165° F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

When the wife and I were judging, we were both served meat that was clearly cold, meaning significantly below ambient temperature, and were told this was normal and legal by table captains and some reps. Now, unless someone is interpreting rule h, and saying, I mean to serve my_______ cold, and implying that is legal. I don't read it that way. :boxing:​

But since you asked about a grilling entry, or not one of the main 4, I don't think I'd care for say, a hot lobster roll :puke:​

Considering team Pelletheads.com has never turned in a cold entry, there would be nothing to answer. Might help you if you got your facts correct.

Accept but..........
Ask Bentley and Kristin Meridith on team Pelletheads.com how well an intentional cold entry turns out. :icon_shy

As presented...
I actually think with some of the seafood I've seen in anything butt they would have done better iced

I would gladly accept it, especially if done well :icon_bigsmil. When I read the question, I interpret it to be a non-KCBS entry; however, it was asked in our judging class if a (chilled) chicken salad would be legal. The answer was that it would be as long as the dressing (sauce) complied by having any celery, etc. diced to the legal size.

Back