Black Walnut Wood - thoughts?

legendaryhog

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Big branch off a black walnut tree at my buddy's house fell down (narrowly missing his garage). Cut it up and threw it in my wood yard to cure for a bit. I have used walnut before, but never black walnut. Anyone have any experience smoking with it? I ask because if you've ever had a black walnut, it tastes different than a regular walnut. Some people like em, some don't. Let me know, if it is not good I'll just burn it in the fireplace. Thanks.

i like it, but the stuff I have is like 15 years old.....very smooth, but still a little strong at this point.......

If you have the space, let it sit a year or so & then try it out......

i like it, but the stuff I have is like 15 years old.....very smooth, but still a little strong at this point.......

If you have the space, let it sit a year or so & then try it out......

Ok, I've got plenty of space. My would pile is about the size of a four car driveway, big enough to justify my 45 ton wood splitter. Maybe I'll check it out in a year or two (if I even remember).

I asked the same question when I got some.
I split 3 logs, and darn if I couldn't smell it upstairs.
I'm gonna let it dry for 2 years. They say it has alot of
bad chemicals inside, plants won't grow near the tree..
Good to burn for the fireplace after seasoning, though, #3 burning wood.

Isn't that stuff worth some good money? A few years back they made a street wider in town and had to take one down. They came in and took every bit of it including the root system.

I've also sent off a bunch of small slabs to get cooker handles made up.......

the grain is DeLuxe !!!!

By backyard is full of black walnut trees. Yes they are toxic to plants. Yes it takes forever to season. Yes they make great veneers. Yes the nuts hurt when they fall on your head.

Haven't been near one in 40 years, but I can still recall that smell under the trees where the nuts fall.

Some places they were stealing the trees right out of the yards when people left them undefended for a weekend.

The guy I buy wood from had some odd black walnut sticks mixed in accidentally with my oak and told me not to smoke with that because it was bad for you.

The guy I buy wood from had some odd black walnut sticks mixed in accidentally with my oak and told me not to smoke with that because it was bad for you.

When it's fresh, yes it is.....after the oils dissipate.....not a problem....takes awhile.....

Thanks Brethren. I have plenty of hickory and oak so I'll probably just burn this in my fireplace. I can do construction, build you a deck, hang a door, etc, but I'm no fine woodworker.

I have some "normal walnut nut" tree wood.

Is that ok to use in a smoker?

Yes. they use it in MS all the time. Make sure it is seasoned well.

Walnuts are cousins to hickories, so it is a powerful wood--I think the walnut I've used has been stronger than hickory.

Back