Myron Mixon Beef Rub

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I am planning on making Myron Mixon's Brisket tomorrow. I started this morning by making the rub in advance. After making it, I noticed it is very heavy on salt.

Anyone with experience using his recipe for beef rub? Is it too salty?

I found it WAAAYYY too salty. I thought the same thing as you and I'm not a big salt guy. I tried it anyway just to see how it cooked, and the end result was very, very salty. I won't use that recipe again.

I have never used his rub before. But have heard this same complaint from others.

The only question I would have is are you using the same type of salt as Myron? Table salt is much denser then Kosher. Even different brands of Kosher have different weights.

Example: a cup of table salt is roughly equal to two cups of Morton's Kosher.

I think there are 3 possibilities:
1. Myron can't taste salt.
2. The book is full of misprints.
3. He is pulling off a big joke just to see if anyone will eat it.

His salt burgers are unbelievable. In their saltiness.
:)

Scale back on the salt by cutting the amount in half to start, then add in small increments as to taste. Easy!

I am using kosher salt. I think it is too much and will probably mix another batch but cut the salt from half a cup to a quarter cup.

There are a few typos in the earlier printings of MM's book. In my version of the book calls for 1 tsp of kosher salt.

Very salty. I used kosher salt as well. Never make that one again!!!

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

There are a few typos in the earlier printings of MM's book. In my version of the book calls for 1 tsp of kosher salt.

Bro,

As you know, I'm a JOS grad.

I sat less than 5 feet from him and watched him pour the ingredients in, and wrote the amounts down as per his instructions.

AND, I tasted the food he made.

When I got home and made the recipes myself, there was too much salt.

Having compared my copy of his book to my manual, I have concluded that they're the same.

So here's my thinking: we couldn't see into the salt boxes (Myron calls them boxes: so will I, and it was Morton salt, folks), so now I am wondering if they were partial boxes.

I cut it back from 1/2 cup to 1 tablespoon. It works pretty well for me...

I cut it back from 1/2 cup to 1 tablespoon. It works pretty well for me...

That's quite a cut, IMO.

I guess I'm not angry: I did learn a heck of alot.

AND, I still recommend the class. No matter what your skill level, you'll leave 30% better than what you walked in at.

In my case (and my fellow Brethren that attended), we didn't learn anything new as much as proverbially... "having the lightbulb over our heads lit".

After 40 years of cooking, I was doing most things exactly right. But when I left JOS, I knew exactly why what I was doing was correct. Myron is that good as a teacher.

When i open up the smokesignals mag link posted above, it shows 1/2 cup of kosher salt in the recipe as does my copy of Myrons book.
jon

Oh, it doesn't, crap. I have seen it somewhere online. I thought that was where. Anyway, here is a pic of the recipe from the version of the book that I have. I blacked out everything else in fairness to MM.

picture.php

checked my book...

1/2 cup kosher, makes 3/4 cups of rub (noticed yours makes 1/4 cup (the difference of the 1/2 cup)

If you add all the ingredients in the smoke signal page it comes to 3/4 cup
so that is right.

In the book you end up with 1/4 a cup so is everything all relative?

My book as well. I have it on Kindle so i assume its the latest revision. Turns your brisket into a salt lick.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

I'm curious if anyone has tried his hickory bbq sauce? I made some of that and can't believe anyone could win a competition with it. I was happy when I found the book and bought it, but I have to say that I'm a little disappointed after trying some of the recipes. It's not all bad though.

Back