Lack of Information?

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am signed up to compete in a backyard competition adjoining a big four day KCBS/MBN event, but I am having trouble getting details on the event. I have asked three different people, including the organizer more than once, what times turn ins are for the backyard events. I have yet to get an answer. This is kind of important to me so that I can plan what time to start cooking and all that.

I know that ppl here don't compete back yard much or at all, but is it normal or reasonable to be two weeks out from a comp and not know what time your turn ins are?

Thanks,

dmp

I am signed up to compete in a backyard competition adjoining a big four day KCBS/MBN event, but I am having trouble getting details on the event. I have asked three different people, including the organizer more than once, what times turn ins are for the backyard events. I have yet to get an answer. This is kind of important to me so that I can plan what time to start cooking and all that.

I know that ppl here don't compete back yard much or at all, but is it normal or reasonable to be two weeks out from a comp and not know what time your turn ins are?

Thanks,

dmp

Yes, that is not normal and does have you a bit put out. It might be
that they dont have enough entrants in backyard to be worth it (for
them). I dont know why they aren't answering. Try, try try again.

I agree with Lake Dog! I would ride their butt till I got answers! But in the mean time stick with a schedule that you have used previously and adjust if you must when you get your turn in times.

Non-sanctioned (aka Backyard, Shadetree, etc) events can be frustrating because they tend to be run a lot more loosely than a sanctioned (Pro) contest. The reason you may not have gotten answers to your questions is the organizers may not know the answers yet! It isn't unusual for things to change as late as the day of the contest for unsanctioned events.

Stability and predictability at a contest is a big part of why folks do sanctioned shows. My best advice for non-sanctioned events is to use the phone (email doesn't have urgency for most people, and it's not 100% reliable) to call the organizer, arrive as early as possible and be prepared for anything. Remember, even if there is a KCBS contest at the same event that doesn't mean the non-sanctioned contest will be operating by KCBS rules, or even that the KCBS scoring system will be used for the Backyard Division.

Don't assume anything until you see it in writing, and even then be prepared for the story to change at the last minute. Be sure to have fun while you're at it, because if you take a non-sanctioned contest too seriously it can drive you crazy!

Thanks guys. I will try to call him soon. I agree that things can change and they may decide to cancel or whatever, but they should have some tentative schedule. I did confirm that it's KCBS judging style, whatever that means, and I think it's some time on Friday for turn-ins, but they have pork and beef categories. Oh, and I appreciate and totally agree with taking it easy. That's half the reason I'm doing back yard, is to be able to relax and enjoy myself at the comp. I'm toying with the idea of taking a small pit or my big one. Oh well, thanks again for letting me know that I'm not crazy for expecting info.

dmp

Honestly, IMHO, because of all the structure that a sanctioned comp brings, I really
recommend just doing the sanctioned competition. Unless there's money to be
had in the backyard part, I'd just do the sanctioned comp and forget the other.
Do one; probably KCBS to start.

At least then you'll also have a really good idea as to how you fare up against the
more seasoned veterans. By the way, just because you're new to competition
doesn't mean that you can't cook just as good as anyone else. I've seen it MANY
times, in both BBQ and chili, and I do so enjoy watching the old hats b@#$% and
moan about *rookies* and luck. IMHO, ain't nuthin' lucky about winning. I have
to remind many a good friend that just because they've cooked in hundreds of
cookoffs doesn't mean they cook the best.

There's money to be had from the back yard comp, but more importantly, there's a lot more to be spent doing the sanctioned contest: That's another reason why I'm doing the backyard. I just can't afford the entry fee for the sanctioned contest. I'm not complaining mind you, just pointing out why I chose to go this route.

dmp

Stability and predictability at a contest is a big part of why folks do sanctioned shows.

For the turn-ins, down to the second. For everything else (meat inspection, cook's meeting, awards) not so much. :doh: Probably going to be a lot better organized (and fairly judged) vs. a non-sanctioned event though.

We like to break up our team in test flavor profiles in the backyard comps... it's laid back and we like to keep it all fun... But unfortunately they don't get planned out very well and I bet that is worse when they are in conjunction with sanctioned events... in that case I bet they tend to get very little attention at all... organizing a sanctioned competition is a lot of work...

But I agree with others keep calling until you get answers...

I've had contest change the number of judges 2 hours before turn-in. Be flexible. Odds are they're trying to figure out how many judges they're going to have. If they have enough the backyard @ a kcbs event ends up w/ certified judges. The cooks meeting on Friday _really_ matters at these things. The turn-in times can shift until this meeting...

Good luck,

Mark

Just an update: Yesterday, five days before the event, I received an eMail with the times of back yard turn-ins. It worked out in the end, but a little more notice would have been nice. Excited be there cooking and competing in about three days!

dmp

Back