Re-Thinking Rubs

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been re-thinking my ideas about rubs lately, especially for big meats.
Eating at a popular KC bbq restaurant has made me think even more.
The flavor at the restaurant was definately SMOKY. ( I've been trying for a more subtle smoke ) The brisket was certainly non-comp. Sliced thin. I liked it. Apparently the people did too. The line was out the door the entire time I was there. The ribs were a little chewy and hammy but came away from the bone. Good smoky flavor. Why do we make them so tender? Do judges have poor teeth? The flavor in all meats were smoky with a little bite. Just the right amount of salt and pepper with a slightly sweet sauce. I couldn't detect any definate other flavors. The simple essence of good BBQ. I believe I've been trying to blast the judges taste buds.

McCormicks makes a smokey paprika that I found has an awesome flavor. I suppose you could overkill with it, but I like the subtle smoke in it. I discovered it watching Big Daddy on the food network channel.

That's one heck of a jump, from mass-produced restaurant food to the competition box with six pieces of balanced perfection.

But I suppose there's no harm in taking a comp or two to submit product in that style, emulate that flavor profile, and see what your scores reflect.

I don't always use a rub on my bbq. Sometimes it is nice to taste the wonderful smoky flavor of the meat without the added taste of the rub.
I know that the rub is supposed to enhance the flavor of the meat and not overpower it.
I just think that it's nice sometimes to enjoy the smoke for what it is.:roll:

I haven't had OK Joe's brisket. I need to get over there for lunch one day.

Back