• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Some deer camp finger food

Jeannie, I thought I would mention that I live in Vinita OK, we are home of the worlds largest calf fry festival!!!! Cooked in it many times alot of fun it accompanies our Will Rogers Memorial Rodeo.. lots of fun, and I luv Fries!!!!

Billy I forgot about that! I had heard of the festival and wanted to check it out some day. Thanks for the reminder, I bet it's a lot of fun! :grin:
I'll check the calendar for the next one. :mrgreen:

That's a fine-looking buck. Congratulations.

lol Guerry were you looking for some tanned hides?

Nah. My BIL does tanning though and gets a lot of free hides from his old hunting buddies. I've got a nice wallet he made for me about 10 years ago and it's still in great shape after being in my back pocket for that long. Wish he'd make me a Mountain Man hat and jacket like his though.:mrgreen:

O'Mordha!!! Where in the heck have you been? :mrgreen: I'm sure you have been busy. Everyone filled their tags... The week started out slow but by Saturday they had their deer.
Hope you are having a good season too! Did you get yours?
Nice to see ya, thanks!! :grin:

Hey Jeanie!

I've been too dang busy hunting to smoke or cook lately! I did harvest me a California Blacktail for my 1st deer tag, tried like hell to fill my 2nd tag but to no avail. It's waterfowl season now, which is even busier time of the year for me than deer season.

That's great news that everyone got their deer! Fresh venison and the cold winter months, not a whole lot finer things in this life if you ask me. I'm going to update the blog here soon, with a summary of what I have been up to and I am hoping to see some smoke billowing from my weber here real quick!

Nah. My BIL does tanning though and gets a lot of free hides from his old hunting buddies. I've got a nice wallet he made for me about 10 years ago and it's still in great shape after being in my back pocket for that long. Wish he'd make me a Mountain Man hat and jacket like his though.:mrgreen:

Guerry that's great! Your BIL sounds like a resourceful man. I'm sure your wallet is awesome!! :thumb:
Yes I do know how to tan. I looked at these hides for a long time before deciding I didn't have the space to store them in a freezer, didn't have time to salt them and didn't have any idea when I would get the time... so I gave them away. I have an old frame made from rebar for stretching and scraping the hides. Just haven't had the time in the last couple of years.
I've made a lot of belts and horse tack. Just something I was taught how to do and will remember. :thumb:

Hey Jeanie!

I've been too dang busy hunting to smoke or cook lately! I did harvest me a California Blacktail for my 1st deer tag, tried like hell to fill my 2nd tag but to no avail. It's waterfowl season now, which is even busier time of the year for me than deer season.

That's great news that everyone got their deer! Fresh venison and the cold winter months, not a whole lot finer things in this life if you ask me. I'm going to update the blog here soon, with a summary of what I have been up to and I am hoping to see some smoke billowing from my weber here real quick!

I had the feeling you were too busy to get online!! Know the feeling. :grin: Congratulations on that Blacktail! I'm happy for ya! I am sure you will put it to good use. Hope your bird hunting goes well too. Looking forward to your blog update and your cooks!! :thumb:
You really need to stop by more often. lol :grin:

The "Boys" can go hunt'in, I'm hanging with you!

lol Astroimage, thanks!! Bring beer and ice please. :mrgreen:

LMAO! love the cracker crumb making device! Seems like something I'd do. :bow:

It has been very hard not to tell Jeanie how good her balls look because frankly, I'm a sissy boy when it comes to eating that kind of stuff, they scare me. But this thread just will not go away no matter how much I don't want to look at Jeanie's balls anymore.

So I will say this...you are one resourceful gal Jeanie. I can't wait to see your next invention. Now be quick with it will ya? :grin:

My local resturant burned down awile back that served rocky mountain oysters, they were awesome!! I liked them with fry sauce.

Back