• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A present from Dave Klose

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got a present from Mr Klose yesterday. Helped him out with some techno-weenie stuff and he sent me a thankyou gift for my Backyard Chef.

6 sets of stainless steal ribracks and a Klose design Charcoal basket.

This basket runs the charcoal in an "S". I'll call him later to get the details, but i guess ya just fill the channels and then light the very end with a torch or hots coals. Dimensions are 16X14x9, not sure if it fits the Bandera. Weight is 68 lbs. Solid 3/8" plate on all 4 sides, and 3/8 or 1/2" angle around all the edges. Has doubled layer of super heavy gauge expanded steel in the bottom(not the HD stuff we use, but the stuff he uses in his fireboxes). Not sure the $$$ he sells these for, will find out.

Will mostly likley give it the trial run at B2.

Still gonna try Al's in the bandera as soon as the divider arrives. Got another eyeround waiting for it.

OOOH, AHHH!! Solid.

Looks like Al's on the right path with the double wall divider.

Really looking forward to breaking everything in at B2 :D

Looks like DK stole Al's idea for the double wall dividers :)

Al- your gonna hafta sue him now... or maybe just steal his design for your next box.

That basket is a monster. So the BYC firebox is tall enough that Klose doesn't require expanded metal on the basket's sides? Can you add fuel without lifting the firebox lid? What are the dimensions on those rib racks?

Nice reward, Phil.

Phil,
How much did DK space between the plates? From the picture, it looks like an inch or so.
StL Mike

racks are 9" wide, 10.5 long at the base, but because they are at an angle, they are a total of 12" long. So 12x9.

The airpace between the plates is exactly 1 inch, and the plate is 1/4 inch steel.

Im concerned that since Al needed a full inch to clear the rebar in his double divider that it may be too much and stop ignition of the coals instead of just slowing it. Think half inch to 5/8 would be sufficent. Testing again...

Can we get a shot of it mid burn 1/2 way through. Also let me see if I under stand the hole basket thing hear. You start off with wood, for the first few hours then make the switch to lump. i.e. I know you are still using wood in the process but how and when?

Thanks

The whole purpose of the basket is to extend burn times to let you sleep or run attended for a bit. You can use some wood chunks mixed in with the charcoal to get smoke if you like. Its up to you how you use it. Your can start with it from the beginning, or go with wood at the beginning and then switch to he basket.. however you need. But the basket can still give you smoke with chunks if you use it from the start.

I haven't had luck using lump in a basket thought, they are really best used with kingsford.

DAYUM...that is one solid looking piece of basket!

So we get to break that in at B2 you say!!!

you go away for a couple weeks cause you are so busy and you miss a lot.

the pickle thing...woosh, right over my head.

And all you guys are like 100 posts and are Sgt Q or something. I'm like nothing. I'm going to start a topic and reply to myself 100 times....

Phil,

how do you get the air to circulate enough to keep this basket lit? i can see where there seems to be a "double" grate at the bottom...is this enough to keep it off the floor of the firebox somehow? i guess if i wanted one of these for wood burning, i wouldn't need the spacers/dividers right?

robert

this sits on the firegrate in the firebox. not on the firebox floor. The grate is 2 layers of 9 gauge expanded steel welded to 2 - 2 inch flats of steel standing on edge. that grate is on rails, so its about 5-6 inchs off the floor.

fivelombardis said:
Phil,

how do you get the air to circulate enough to keep this basket lit? i can see where there seems to be a "double" grate at the bottom...is this enough to keep it off the floor of the firebox somehow? i guess if i wanted one of these for wood burning, i wouldn't need the spacers/dividers right?

robert

I made my dividers removable so that wood logs could be used also. My divider will fit between any of the rebars for adjusting size to match what heat is needed for what you are cooking. Rebar spacing of 1/2 inch gives a long burn time for each coal, rather than falling through expanded metal too soon.

Wonder how much it will cost to ship @ 68lbs? UPS has 70lbs weight limit! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My basket and single divider shipped to Phil, UPS billable weight = $29.00
and dual divider was 10lb billable weight = $11.22

BBQchef33 said:
racks are 9" wide, 10.5 long at the base, but because they are at an angle, they are a total of 12" long. So 12x9.

The airpace between the plates is exactly 1 inch, and the plate is 1/4 inch steel.

Im concerned that since Al needed a full inch to clear the rebar in his double divider that it may be too much and stop ignition of the coals instead of just slowing it. Think half inch to 5/8 would be sufficent. Testing again...

Air gap is 13/16 between my plates. If it stops self lighting, I have a fix in mind.....awaiting your long burn test results. :wink: :idea: :?: :!: 8)

Phil,
Did you do your 2nd test on Dual Divider yet?

:idea: :arrow: If right side coals did not self light soon enough, potential production fix will be to cut a 45* angle starting up 3 inches up from bottom edge and angling down towards the middle(\) of left divider and same cut on right divider towards the middle(/). Slots will be on opposite ends of the left and right dividers and should allow more heat to cross flow through the 13/16 air gap. Sorta simulating the S shape minion method when viewed from the top of the divider. :wink:

Left divider :

Right divider:

You could emulate this by drilling 3 each, 1/2 inch holes about 2.5 center line inches up from the bottom on opposite ends of the left and right divider plates.

:?: Let me know results that you have had so far.

Oh, yea, we had our first Fall Snot here this am, just a light Snot dusting, temp was in low 30's last night. :? :shock:

Phil,
You had time to try the rib racks yet? Let me know what you think.
StL Mike

Between the work upstairs and the crummy weather, i havent cooked anything since last week when i fired up the WSM. Do both charcoal baskets and the rib racks havent been touched.

Big Al.....

Are you welding 1/2" rebar every inch to give you 1/2" of space between the rods? Also, your avatar appears to have the dividers go all the way across the width of the box. How does that ignite new coals(ala the Minion method? Last two questions....1. what is the gauge on your basket and 2. Do you sell them??

Pufferbelly119@att.net

Back