UDS Water Pan

Motley QUE Crew

Reaction score
Do you need a water pan in these drum smokers? If so how do you support them? Or do you put a alum. pan to catch the drippings?

Thanks,

RonW.

You don't need one, but I am seriously thinking about it. I understand that the point of the _DS operation is to vaporize the rendered fat for added "down home" flavor. However, the continuous plume of white fat smoke for hours toward the end of the cook is a little much for me.

At a recent competition I made foil boats to hold my butts once I got a good bark (about the last 3-4 hours). It's nothing more than a form-fitted pan fashioned out of two layers of HD foil. These captured the fat and provided relief from the smoke. It worked very well, and my competition neighbors could breathe normally. :-D

I hope this helps,
John

P.S. The pork took 3rd, so it appears that there were no negative effects.

I use a water pan in mine just because i don't like that much direct heat. I just put in another rack right above the fire box and set my water bowl on top of it.

No pan needed. That is part of the beauty of the drum over the WSM, the meat is far enough away from the fire so a water pan is not needed.
Curious comment Daddio, I have never had a continuous plume of white smoke for hours at the end of my cook. Maybe I just don't notice it because I am doing other stuff around the house while the UDS is taking care of the cookin'. I will have to watch for that next time out.

With my first cook on the UDS I had condensation on the lid and the pork shoulder was almost to wet to create the type of bark I like...I now run my temps a bit higher and foil less and my bark is back to what I like. The point is I can not see adding more moisture to my drum....maybe a pan I guess if you are overly concerned but not water.

NCurious comment Daddio, I have never had a continuous plume of white smoke for hours at the end of my cook. Maybe I just don't notice it because I am doing other stuff around the house while the UDS is taking care of the cookin'. I will have to watch for that next time out.
I looked around at the competition and all the drums I saw (BDS and UDS) were smoking pretty heavily.

John

Do I see potential name confusion????

I wouldn't want water pans in my drums

John, I only use about three fist sized wood chunks in the UDS for long burns (10-12 hours) and get really nice smoke flavor. Heavy smoke coming out of the UDS, just my
$.02, could possible start giving a bittler flavor. That sweet blue smoke is all you need. No need for a water pan. Hope this helps.

John, I only use about three fist sized wood chunks in the UDS for long burns (10-12 hours) and get really nice smoke flavor. Heavy smoke coming out of the UDS, just my
$.02, could possible start giving a bittler flavor. That sweet blue smoke is all you need. No need for a water pan. Hope this helps.
Meat - The smoke I'm talking about is from rendering, dripping and vaporizing fat -- not wood. My fire is nice and clean with no smoke until the pork starts giving up the fat big time toward the end. Of course, I had 18.5 lbs of butts and a 12 lb brisket (raw/trimmed weights) in one drum. That is A LOT of fat.

John

Added this for drip pan/waterpan/wok
IMG_3081-1.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

I use a pan most of the time. Great for adding flavor and comfort zone on timing. You can have more control over heat, flare ups of wood chunks and most of all temp spikes. I always start with juice,pop, even cheap kool-aid, then switch to water after flavor profile is there. I do like the flavor of direct but the ease of pan use. But as said before,many ways to get to the same place and to each their own. Steve.

I use a pan most of the time. Great for adding flavor and comfort zone on timing. You can have more control over heat, flare ups of wood chunks and most of all temp spikes. I always start with juice,pop, even cheap kool-aid, then switch to water after flavor profile is there. I do like the flavor of direct but the ease of pan use. But as said before,many ways to get to the same place and to each their own. Steve.
I am curious as to where are you placing the water pan? I'd hate to lose the use of the second rack but I am guessing you are putting it closer to the basket somehow...

I am curious as to where are you placing the water pan? I'd hate to lose the use of the second rack but I am guessing you are putting it closer to the basket somehow...
I cut down the pipe so wok is 2 or so inches below bottom grate. In this pic I had not finished fire basket and stand offs. Can make one up for your UDS Rob because I made yours same length as Stefs. Let me know.

Turkey done with no heat deflector
IMG_2722.jpg

Turkey done with heat deflector
IMG_2738.jpg

That is a great example as to the positive effects of control of heat. Nice looking bird(with). Steve.

Norco

Where did you find the bottom/stand of your firebasket/water bowl.

Thanks

Back