King Mackerel on PG500

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
First off, I am not proud of this cook. :oops:
I am posting it because there are few (if any) threads here on King Mackerel. Maybe someone will find a bit of useful info here.
I got distracted by an important phone call right as they were finishing up and overcooked the tar out of them.
Still moist and tasty, but falling apart and ugly.
So be it.

1.5" Mackerel steaks seasoned with PlowBoy's Fin and Feather.

Onto to the indirect side (Zone 4) at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes to lay on smoke flavor from blended Apple pellets.

Cranked the temp to 350 which gives about 525ish on the direct grilling area (Zone 1) for a couple of minutes per side.
After flipping, this is where the phone call came in :twisted:

Done,..........well overdone. :oops:

Finally, ready to eat!

Tasty, surprisingly moist, and ugly.

Mrs Kapn made the rice and broccoli (we call them "trees") and they were wonderful.
She also made a YUMMY butter lemon sauce which was added at the table after the final pic and it worked perfectly with the Mackerel.

Good Eats!!!

Thanks for looking.

TIM

First off, I am not proud of this cook. :oops:
I am posting it because there are few (if any) threads here on King Mackerel. Maybe someone will find a bit of useful info here.
I got distracted by an important phone call right as they were finishing up and overcooked the tar out of them.
Still moist and tasty, but falling apart and ugly.
So be it.

1.5" Mackerel steaks seasoned with PlowBoy's Fin and Feather.

Onto to the indirect side (Zone 4) at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes to lay on smoke flavor from blended Apple pellets.

Cranked the temp to 350 which gives about 525ish on the direct grilling area (Zone 1) for a couple of minutes per side.
After flipping, this is where the phone call came in :twisted:

Done,..........well overdone. :oops:

Finally, ready to eat!

Tasty, surprisingly moist, and ugly.

Mrs Kapn made the rice and broccoli (we call them "trees") and they were wonderful.
She also made a YUMMY butter lemon sauce which was added at the table after the final pic and it worked perfectly with the Mackerel.

Good Eats!!!

Thanks for looking.

TIM

As my Daddy said once "You don't eat pretty." If you are cooking competition, for photgraphy, yeah, it didn't make the grade. But if you are cooking supper...."You don't eat pretty."
Looks good to me!

I happen to love kingfish when fresh.Sometimes when we catch a bunch I will smoke some but my favorite are steaks cut from the belly(lots of fat) with a short marinade of fresh garlic, lemon zest, EVOO and S+P on the grill and lemon juice to Finnish. Whaoo and Spanish mackerel have been hard to catch this summer.

I'd hit that all day! It's nice to see that someone elses Grille Grates are as "seasoned" as mine:wink:

Not much you can do to make king Mack pretty. It is a grey colored meat as it is. Not for everybody that is for sure. Looks like you hit it as well as you can. Make tuna salad out of the leftovers. My favorite way to eat it

I'd hit that all day! It's nice to see that someone elses Grille Grates are as "seasoned" as mine:wink:

Those are a bit overdue for some tender loving care :oops:
I don't obsess over them, but they are beyond my normal low standard.

Not much you can do to make king Mack pretty. It is a grey colored meat as it is. Not for everybody that is for sure. Looks like you hit it as well as you can. Make tuna salad out of the leftovers. My favorite way to eat it

Our Kings are grey when raw, but are beautiful white meat that flakes wonderfully when cooked (properly :oops:).
No left overs here. We portion and cook just the right amount for the two of us 8)

TIM

Great cook and I'll bet they still tasted great even though a bit over done....in your opinion

It all looks delicious Tim! I've not tried mackerel on the grill, not sure if my store carries it but I will look. Yours looks so tasty!
btw, I call those green things trees too! :-D

Good looking cook and I don't even like mackerel. Also, good to see someone post a cook that wasn't perfect.

THANKS for posting the cook Tim. In my opinion that's the only way to cook Kingfish. Steaked like that and charred, very often it is not pretty. Who cares, it's darn good eats!

By the way, the fashion police have left the building. :sad:

Back