Partially Competing

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I think it is allowable, but is it brethrenly to only cook two of four meats at a comp. I want to do my first comp but not be completely overwhelmed the first time.

sure. wouldn't suggest it though.

you'll be overwhelmed anyway, might as well swing for the fence.

Your first time out you should only cook what you are comfortable cooking. My first time out I was only going to cook chicken and ribs, but got talked into cooking pork and brisket as well by one of the organizers and haven't looked back since. If you get a price break on the entry fee to only enter two categories then go for it. If you have to pay the full entry fee, you might as well take a shot at the other two.

Since KCBS events rarely give you a discount for cooking less than 4 meats, I'd go for it. If you don't want to take on more than two, I'd suggest finding another person who is willing to do them on a separate cooker. Just split the entry fee down the middle and you each cook your own 2-entry contest. Whoever's entry gets a call keeps the loot!

I did my 1st comp last year and did darn good. I did the comp with no help it was just me and I was my own box runner. Did all 4 meats 50 some teams I think and ribs were my best that day 6 over all and the other meats were all in the top 20.

I advice go for it get a time sheet and stick to it. Do a few practice runs at home 1st and have fun.

90% of the time I compete solo. PM me with e-mail address and I'll send you my comp timeline. It will give you an idea of how times work with no help and may help you create your own timeline.

Jeff

I'd cook the pork and the brisky and skip the chicken and ribs! The big meats are much easier and forgiving than the chicken especially. Go for it. Get a time line together and you can do it.

I had this same thought, only cooking two meats, for my first competition. I've since decided to jump in and go for it... 4 meats, no experience, too much information(thanks to this site) and one tempermental offset smoker. We shall see what happens...

I think it's a great idea. You probably won't win grand champion your first time out. No need to spend that much money on first cook. My first comp I only entered ribs and pork and placed second in pork.

Lets just say you are one of only 25 teams registered for a qualifying event (Jack draw-American Royal) and you only cooked 2 meats and did not bother to turn in the others. I'm pretty sure that the event would be declared a non qualifier.

And if a Brethren was the overall GC and was competing for a shot at one of those events, that would be a chitty thing to happen IMO. Better to turn in all 4 meats or stay home.

Lets just say you are one of only 25 teams registered for a qualifying event (Jack draw-American Royal) and you only cooked 2 meats and did not bother to turn in the others. I'm pretty sure that the event would be declared a non qualifier.

And if a Brethren was the overall GC and was competing for a shot at one of those events, that would be a chitty thing to happen IMO. Better to turn in all 4 meats or stay home.

Good point!

I don't think this comment is the best way to promote/grow competition bbq. If someone is just starting out and doesn't want to cook everything then they shouldn't feel like they have to or they will be shunned by the bbq community especially because there is nothing in the rules that says only entering a few meats is not allowed.

I'm not sure if what you stated about it could potentially declare an event a non qualifier is true or not, but even if it is "all the stars would have to align" for this to occur. And even then if it did occur would the one time a year it might happen be worth telling lots of new teams they shouldn't compete in a few categories because it is "bad taste" or however you want to phrase it and then have all those teams not begin competing?

Just seems silly.

Last edited:
If you cooked your big meats earlier then normal, you could let them rest for 3-4 hours, giving you plenty of time to worry about ribs and chicken.

I don't cook 4 meats at a time.. I cook 2 meats at a time, twice. plan on getting your big meats done and in a cooler/cambro before your chicken and ribs go on the smoker.

I don't think this comment is the best way to promote/grow competition bbq. If someone is just starting out and doesn't want to cook everything then they shouldn't feel like they have to or they will be shunned by the bbq community especially because there is nothing in the rules that says only entering a few meats is not allowed.

I'm not sure if what you stated about it could potentially declare an event a non qualifier is true or not, but even if it is "all the stars would have to align" for this to occur. And even then if it did occur would the one time a year it might happen be worth telling lots of new teams they shouldn't compete in a few categories because it is "bad taste" or however you want to phrase it and then have all those teams not begin competing?

Just seems silly.
Yes, all 25 teams must turn in all four meats in order to be a qualifier. It's unnecessarily dramatic to declare that "lots" of new teams would be dissuaded from competing -- it's easy enough to find contests that aren't sitting right on the button at 15 or 25, whichever is required.

It's also bad form to denigrate the concerns of those shooting for invitational events as "silly". Cooking a couple dozen events per year, and having the dedication and skill to win enough to get drawn, is far from silly.

As far as the OP: We jumped right in with all four meats, had never been to a contest before, had no background information whatsoever. Honestly, most of your big expenses don't change whether you're cooking two meats or four, and as mentioned above, the big meats can be safely resting by the time you turn your attention to cooking the short meats. Having each meat on a reliable timeline, and cooking a four-meat practice at home will go a long way toward getting you into the swing of it.

Good luck!

Yes, all 25 teams must turn in all four meats in order to be a qualifier. It's unnecessarily dramatic to declare that "lots" of new teams would be dissuaded from competing -- it's easy enough to find contests that aren't sitting right on the button at 15 or 25, whichever is required.

It's also bad form to denigrate the concerns of those shooting for invitational events as "silly". Cooking a couple dozen events per year, and having the dedication and skill to win enough to get drawn, is far from silly.

As far as the OP: We jumped right in with all four meats, had never been to a contest before, had no background information whatsoever. Honestly, most of your big expenses don't change whether you're cooking two meats or four, and as mentioned above, the big meats can be safely resting by the time you turn your attention to cooking the short meats. Having each meat on a reliable timeline, and cooking a four-meat practice at home will go a long way toward getting you into the swing of it.

Good luck!
I couldn't agree more..if your going to compete why not go for the whole enchilada..cost really wouldn't be that much more your already there anyway..and as far as team count being filled by people half stepping just to make it hit a qualifier is "silly" and degrades the integrity of the comp and takes away from the people that are serious..in the end just cook them all theres nothing to be afraid of.

Better to turn in all 4 meats or stay home.

That makes no sense. The only thing this would do is eliminate another entry fee, making it harder for the organizer to fund the event. If a contest is hurting for teams, their status as a qualifier would be exactly the same if this hypothetical 2-meat entrant shows up or stays home.

Good luck!

"Lots" is a relative term. I'm not saying thousands, but "some" could be. Many people are saying do the whole shebang or don't come at all. I completely feel that that is a "silly" statment. I don't want anyone to get hose out of a draw, but if the team entering doesn't have intention of hosing anyone yet chooses to enter just 2 categories then so be it. Sometimes that is how the cards may fall in life.

I'm no seasoned competitor, but trying to get there and I wouldn't want anyone else starting out to feel pressure from me or anyone that they have to do the "full monty" or other they will be looked down upon or thought of as not worth as much as other teams in terms of contributing to a competition. That's not good sportsmanship. It is fully within to rules to only enter whatever categories you want.

I couldn't agree more..if your going to compete why not go for the whole enchilada..cost really wouldn't be that much more your already there anyway..and as far as team count being filled by people half stepping just to make it hit a qualifier is "silly" and degrades the integrity of the comp and takes away from the people that are serious..in the end just cook them all theres nothing to be afraid of.

Not everyone feels this way. You can't speak for how other teams will feel their first time out and how they will feel competing or how much money they have to spend to compete. It is different for everyone. And yes if teams are half stepping just to make it hit a qualifier that is silly, but if they are doing to "ease into competition" with no ill intention so they don't feel overwhelmed or to keep cost down then that is fine by me.

Back