Will this work...

H

HHpepper

I just picked up an old 100 gallon diesel fuel tank. It has been sitting for a while with nothing in it. Its got some rust on the inside and galvanized on the outside. I think it will blast out ok. Is it worth the time to make a grill or add a firebox for smoking?

Thanks in advance

Pictures! Got to have pictures! Those kind of tanks come in various shapes...

Is it galvinized inside? you said it had some rust on the inside but it could be that some of the coating has worn or something...i personnaly wouldnt use anything galvinized..

only galvanized on the outside. I am tryin to get a photo now.

You need to be sure that you are starting with a clean raw metal surface on the inside when you start assembly. Even the galvanized on the outside will give you noxious fumes when you weld it.

here is a pic of it shoved in the corner.

Attachments

• Photo-0045.jpg
    Photo-0045.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 69
I have welded galvanized before and try to avoid the fumes.

I don't know that much about metal galvanization.....or fuel tanks for that matter.....BUT....

Can a piece of steel only be galvanized on ONE side? Seems to me that if it's galvanized on the outside it'd be galvanized on the inside? Of course...if there's rust, that indicates no galvanization, right?

Sure LOOKS like it'd be a sweet cooker! How big's that thing? Looks like maybe 4' tall, 2' diameter?

GET RID OF IT Unless its double wall construction with steel inner, which I doubt. I have seen galvanized rust right through, Look at an old chimney. You are right about the galvaniziing Wampus.

GET RID OF IT Unless its double wall construction with steel inner, which I doubt. I have seen galvanized rust right through, Look at an old chimney. You are right about the galvaniziing Wampus.

But you could use it as a cold smoker :biggrin:

Keep looking. Have you tried a local metal scrapyard for large diameter pipe or a large tank? The galvanization is allthe way through the metal, you'll hate the welding, and the food aftereffects.

You should be able to find decent large diameter pipe for a decent price if you start putting the word out.

I noticed you are from Alabama. Got friends that are pipefitters? Put them on a hunt. No pipefitter friends? Don't fret. Call a local propane distributor and tell them you're looking for a tank that can't be refurbished.

I found some 150 gal propane tanks for $25 might start with that as a cooker. I can use this tank for a super sucker setup for collecting wvo for biodiesel.

Back