Simply Marvelous Spatchcock Chicken

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gave "Big Brother Smoke's" Simply Marvelous Poultry Rub on some Spatchcock chicken tonight.

Started with a nice sized whole chicken:
whole.jpg

Seasoned it up with Steph's new rub and tossed it on the WSM. The rub has some nice flavors. Not just spices, there's some herbs in there too:
rub.jpg

What also made this a special cook was the wood I got to used. I got a care package from Roy (keale) last week. Loaded with seasoned guava. Let me tell you, this wood is great. Has a nice sweet aroma while smoking and it complimented Steph's rub very well.

guava.jpg

Here's the bird half way through:
half-done.jpg

Glazed the bird with a little of BBS's new BBQ sauce:
1glazed.jpg

glazed-close.jpg

It looked so good I gave it another coating just before serving:
2glazed.jpg

Toss it on a plate with some rice pilaf and salad:
plated.jpg

Steph's sauce and Poultry Rub is first rate. Awesome stuff. They both compliment each other very nicely. I'm thinking of smoking a whole turkey and will be giving the rub another good testing.

If you want to buy some PM Big Brother Smoke. If you buy a gallon of sauce make sure he packs it really good. Or the post office will deliver you a cardboard box full of sauce and an empty bottle.

That looks great. I love chicken that way. Seems like all the chicken I ever eat anymore is thighs.

If thats not great looking chicken I dont know what is. Looks very tender and juicy.

I might have to pick me up some of that Poultry rub soon and give it aa go myself.

plated.jpg

Throwdown pic! :cool:

That looks awesome. I need to get me some BBS stuff now. <Wife Gonna Kill Me Mod>

Larry was the skin crisp it sure looks like it is

The skin was not crisp. Next time I'm going to flip the bird and crank the heat in an attempt to crisp up the skin.

Also going to leaving the bird unwrapped in the fridge for 24 hours to see if that really does help.

The skin was not crisp. Next time I'm going to flip the bird and crank the heat in an attempt to crisp up the skin.

Also going to leaving the bird unwrapped in the fridge for 24 hours to see if that really does help.

Get a smoky joe fired up and grill it for 5 or 10 minutes prior to serving

man, that is one good lookin bird! I bet it tastes even better :wink:

well done!

The color of that skin is awesome! Looks mighty tasty.

Nice chickie... I always tend to do beer can chicken, but I need to do one of these, I think.

Larry, great looking chicken! Nice color! Is it reddish or is my monitor messed up?
That rub by bbs look "PURTY"! LOL Very colorful, I can only imagine whats in side. I can taste it!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Guava wood, that what I use most of the time. I just wasted about 200 lbs, I got it right before I started the housebuild and left it out, the bark is all black...is that still good?

Back