View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
JW
Got Wood.

I have a couple of contest that I attend where power is limited, an inverter and battery works well if your using low wattage lights. I have 2 12 ft EZ Up canopies that I will fasten the large Christmas lights around the edge just below the canopy cover, these require low wattage and give off plenty of light. I have also used the Coleman propane laterns. A couple of these will light up a work area fine.

You'll learn to judge your needs after a couple of contest and it'll be easier, pratice on your cooking and record the intervals between when you add fuel and check the food. Keep this information with you so you will have something to go by during the night that way you will have an idea of just how often you'll actually need lights. If you want a radio get a battery powered one. No need to drop major cash before your ready just because someone wants you to have a quite generator. How much quiter can you be if you don't have one at all! Besides if you buy a generator too fast you may find out that you didn't buy one large enough and then you'll have a hard time getting your money back out of it when you upgrade. I use a Super Quite Honda 3,500 watt when I set up. I power the camper, TV, fridge and I have a freezer mounted on front of my smoker trailer that is powered by an inverter while traveling and by generator after setup. Don't be in a hurry to spend that money, determine just what your needs are and go from there.

Main thing is go, cook and enjoy. Good Luck!

custom made mobile offset smoker
3 UDS
1 modified double barrel smoker
KCBS
Team - BBQ Pit Stop [URL="http://www.bbqpitstop.20m.com"]www.bbqpitstop.20m.com[/URL]
JW is offline   Reply With Quote