• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help me out here.

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Got a couple packs of these on sale a few weeks ago and put them in the freezer. Was wanting to cook them like a steak but the pack says to slow cook for best results, but I would rather rely on the brethren for best results.

Marbling looks good for a steak prep, but I would still low and slow it like a normal beef short rib. It is chuck after all.

never tried, might be worth a go with one.

but short ribs bone in i do know are tough little mothers. takes quite a while to break down to tender/chewable.

Marbling looks good for a steak prep, but I would still low and slow it like a normal beef short rib. It is chuck after all.

They are about the size of a strip too, so I'm thinking indirect on the kettle for about 2 hrs or so at about. 300. Sound about right? I will post the cook later when it happens however I decide to do it.

Sounds about right for 300 dgrees, but watch for tenderness over time. You don't want it to turn into shredded beef (or worse yet be underdone).

Smoke 2-3 hours at 275, then pan with veggies and beef stock/beer for 2-3 hours ( covered), then back over warm/hot embers to firm up for 15-30. Reduce the pan juice til syrupy, and glaze at the end on some of them for extra fun. I almost always do this last step with shorties because whenever you braise small cuts like these, you tend to donate alot of the meat's flavor to the braising liquid (almost like boiling meat). Re-saucing with the reduced pan liquids is a good way to get alot of that flavor back onto/into the meat.

What you have there is some good Texas delight. beef chuck ribs are some of the best ribs out there. I see they are boneless, but I think the best way is to do them SSSLLLLLLOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYY at no higher than 250 deg. Nice and slow because you want all that fat to learn to play with the rest of his friends. Salt and pepper and whatever you like. I usually do mine for about 4 hours, or longer depending on size. You will enjoy them.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I knew I could count on ya!!!! I have a plan that is in action now. Taking some of Cuzzin Guerre's advice and some of what of others have mentioned. I will post a cook thread later. Thanks again everyone!!!! This place Rocks!!

Back