I need some help with fatty ideas for a breakfast fundraiser

E

Enkidu

Hey all! Been a couple months since I posted. I took a hiatus from the board and Q'ing due to life getting crazy busy and the weather being horrendously hot in Southern California. Well, last weekend, I Q'd some pulled pork and smoked mac n' cheese for a neighborhood block party that was a HUUUUUUGE hit with the matchlight & frozen burger patty crowd. It was so much of a hit that I was asked to provide some breakfast food for a school fundraiser this Saturday. Without thinking about it, and in a display of hubris, I agreed. Well, now I'm stuck and I have to bring something.

Given the crowd, I was thinking fatties on croissants with syrup over the top. That said, I have no idea what I should stuff the fatties with, or what to use as a rub, or other ways to prepare them. I am definitely trying to avoid too much heat on the fatties (as much as I like really spicy food, I don't think the crowd will). So I need some help with from the brethren with recipe ideas for a first-time fatty maker looking to make fatties for a big group for a fundraiser.

Also, what do you think a good amount to charge would be? I am not looking to recoup what I spend (I'll just donate my time and the money to buy the food to the fundraiser) but I have no idea what a reasonable amount to charge for, say, 3 slices from a fatty put on top of half a croissant and drizzled with syrup. It is a pretty affluent crowd, so I was thinking $5. Watcha think?

Good to see you! Anyway, I'm a fan of the nekked fatty myself - just hit it with some rub & cook it. Once in a while I'll glaze/sauce it at the end. A sweeter rub would probably be good esp. if you're using store bought sausage (I make my own) 'cause the Jimmy Dean type stuff can be pretty dang salty, so that's something to think about. You might wanna make a trial run before Saturday. I've got a bunch of SM rubs on hand - if you need any, hit me up.

If it were me I'd rub a bunch of naked fatties and smoke em the night before. Then on breakfast day slice up the fatties, fry the slices and make fatty egg and cheese sandwiches on English muffins or bagels. Maybe glaze the the fatties in maple syrup for a little extra touch.

If you really want to blow their minds make the sandwiches with these on an English muffin. It's more work and more money though, but I guarantee they will be impressed. You could probably skip the breading to save time, and leave out the peppers, or use something more mild.

you cant go wrong with a naked fatty. i like the sandwhich idea on a bagel, croissant, or english muffin. you could maybe mix in some fatties with just cheese, hashbrowns, and bacon stuffings? Def go easy on the spice/heat---i prefer lots of heat but not everyone else does so any time i cook for a crowd i tone it down lol.

Blueberry muffin fatty :hungry::thumb:

Basically you just half-bake blueberry muffin mix and then roll it in a fatty and smoke it. Farkin' outstanding.

A lot depends on your resources for cooking. A naked fattie, egg disk and english muffin are terrific, but, you need a stove and flat top. Yes, I said egg disk. My favorite is a biscuit with a slice of fatty and cheese in it.

In terms of charge, you have to determine food costs, unless you are donating the food as well. People are used to paying around $3.50 to $4 for a breakfast sandwich, you can sit in that neighborhood too and make some sales.

Egg disks-take a bunch of eggs, one dozen per 18 sandwiches or so, slightly blend by whisk. Pour into muffin top pan and bake until set. Let cook, stack once cooled and chill. You can then reheat these, even on a grill, in minutes, pop on a slice of fatty and some cheese, a muffin, Portuguese bread roll or biscuit and you are go.

Okay, I think I am going to go with a basic sharp cheddar cheese stuffing and possibly a bacon weave covering. Gonna stick with croissants and some maple syrup on the side. I considered adding scrambled eggs to the stuffing, but I'll keep it simple for my first fatty, particularly given that I am serving it to others (and taking "donations"). I am thinking $4 sounds about right.

Thanks for all the help, brothers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not had much luck with cheese in a fatty; it kind of disappears into the meat and you loose the effect. I like the cheese on top with egg and a Hawaiian sweet roll myself. To each their own.
Good luck

A lot depends on your resources for cooking. A naked fattie, egg disk and english muffin are terrific, but, you need a stove and flat top. Yes, I said egg disk. My favorite is a biscuit with a slice of fatty and cheese in it.

In terms of charge, you have to determine food costs, unless you are donating the food as well. People are used to paying around $3.50 to $4 for a breakfast sandwich, you can sit in that neighborhood too and make some sales.

Egg disks-take a bunch of eggs, one dozen per 18 sandwiches or so, slightly blend by whisk. Pour into muffin top pan and bake until set. Let cook, stack once cooled and chill. You can then reheat these, even on a grill, in minutes, pop on a slice of fatty and some cheese, a muffin, Portuguese bread roll or biscuit and you are go.

I gotta agree with the landfarc...err....landarc. Kiss. Keep it simple. A fatty on a biscuit is the classic way. Maybe some cheese.:thumb:

Landarc - that egg disc thing - I can't wait to try (then take credit for :heh:) that - farking awesome tip! :clap2:

Enkidu - good luck and have fun! :thumb:

So, all-in-all everything turned out alright. I made a bit more than $100 for the fundraiser charging $5 per breakfast sandwich. I got a lot of compliments (including from a guy who owns a posh restaurant), but didn't sell nearly as well as I had hoped. I think that might have a little to do with the fact that the majority of the attendees were kids and Hollywood Hills housewives (if I had a dollar for every time I was told that they were a vegan or a vegetarian...) and I was competing against a lot of baked sweet goods.

I was underwhelmed by the end product, but I am usually my own worst critic. Maybe I'll enjoy the leftovers more tomorrow. A few places where I went wrong: first, I should have made 2 fatties out of each 3 lb. log of sausage rather than one big one. It would have made things easier in transferring to and from the grill without breaking in the middle. Second, I think I overstuffed with cheese and eggs, so I had some leakage of the stuffing. Next time, I'll tone down the amount of filling I use. I ended up using 6 lbs of sausage in what I sold (and have another 3 lbs of sausage I used for a 3rd patty that is in my fridge).

Well, no rest for the wicked... I am grilling steaks (w/ blue cheese butter) tonight and making some smoked mac n' cheese for my best friend's GF's B-day dinner at our place. The wife is making apple crisp and homemade vanilla ice cream. My friend is bringing some backed beans (using some leftover pulled pork I made last week) and we'll also have some sauteed spinach.

I'll definitely be making fatties again, next time without the stress of cooking for others, and with some experience under my belt.

Sorry for no pr0n... I was too tired and stressed to even think about it. Next time.

Thanks for all the help!

Back