20lb. bag cowboy 7.99

elvis67

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was at Emporia yesterday saw cowboy lump in 20 lb bags. Newer had saw them in that size round here. Only have seen smaller bags at Topeka at Lowes. Is 7.99 a good price?

OK price. Bought it for about $5.00 for 10lb bag. Not my favorite. Wide variety of sizes makes make for uneven temps and burn times. Prefere the Best Choice stuff I have been getting at Food 4 Less. Think it is made by Royal Oak for them.

Thats a great price Elvis.

Cowboy is all I buy. Its also all I can find, so I got no choice.

I bet Cowboy is manufactured in Kansas.

My theory:

Dog says the lump sizes vary considerably (ie fresh bags). The bags I get in Chicago are pretty uniform (meaning a couple stock boys and a few trailer loaders have gotten to them (I used to load trucks for a living. Remember that see through Corelle pots and pans in the 80's? We loved loading them. You can hear the glass shattering with every toss) Phil bought Cowboy in Long Island that was powder, pure rubble. His bag got kicked half way across the country.

So if I could get Cowboy at 7.99 for 20#, I would buy 20 bags. I can only get the 10# for $4.50 at Menards

I don't mind the variety of sizes in lump. When I open a bag of lump the first thing I do is dump it out in the drive way and put the largest chunks in 5 gal bucket (these I use for coal bed augmentation while burning wood) the med size (about briq size) I put back in the bag to use in the chimney for start ups and the fines (trash) get swept up and put in the garden with my ashes.

There's a local brand here that's all oak that I get 40# for $20.

It is a good price, but I wouldn't buy it myself.
Here is my personal ratings on lump that I have tried:

Cowboy and Duraflame: Won't use
Best Choice and Royal Oak: Ok in a pinch if I run out of the good stuff
B & B: Excellent, but pricey at the only place I can buy it, $7 for 10 lbs.
Ozark Oak: Excellent, $5 for 10 lbs

Greg

kcquer said:
I don't mind the variety of sizes in lump. When I open a bag of lump the first thing I do is dump it out in the drive way and put the largest chunks in 5 gal bucket (these I use for coal bed augmentation while burning wood) the med size (about briq size) I put back in the bag to use in the chimney for start ups and the fines (trash) get swept up and put in the garden with my ashes.

There's a local brand here that's all oak that I get 40# for $20.
I do the size thingie too, but the cowboy seems to have really strange stuff in it. One bag looked like it had pieces of lath in it. I don't think that it was all hardwood. Just my .02

Dog, do you mean tongue in groove stuff?

I get plenty of that here.

Greg, I wish I could get other stuff than Cowboy. When I have cooked at other places (like Phil's) I would much rather use Royal Oak or something of better "quality"

willkat98 said:
Dog, do you mean tongue in groove stuff?
Nope. Not farking plywood or flooring. Looked like cheep pine or sumpin. :confused:

"Tounge in groove," sheech. :roll:

I'm with Bigdog on this. I have always had good luck with the Best Choice stuff at Food 4 Less. The Cowboy that I got had stuff in it that looked like 1 X 4 in it. It worked all right but it would be my lump of last choice.

Take a look here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I have a bag of Cowboy--2+ years old.
I have been trying to use it up (for whatever reason), but have a hard time making myself use it. Too many scrap pieces in there for me to be comfortable.

FWIW.

TIM

Wayne said:
I'm with Bigdog on this. I have always had good luck with the Best Choice stuff at Food 4 Less. The Cowboy that I got had stuff in it that looked like 1 X 4 in it. It worked all right but it would be my lump of last choice.
Thanks for backing me up on this one Brother Wayne. Come to think of it, I think I had a bag like that too.

Hey Wayne, we missed the have a beer with a Bro. week. We must get together this year. We live so close and yet have not met. I will make it a must do for 2006. Fishbowls at the Cedar sound good?

Back