• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first time.

venemous

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sorry for the terrible cell phone pics, battery in my camera was dead.

Got an ECB for christmas, this was my first ever attempt at smoking.

Started with a 3.5 pound shoulder, coated it with mayo to help the rub stick. Rubbed it with mcormick grill mates applewood rub to which I added garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, cinnamon and sugar. Let it sit in the fridge overnight.

The next morning got my ECB fired up and heated to my best approximation of 225ish and put a chunk of apple wood on the coals. Dealing with keeping this thing burning and at anything close to a steady temp is why I started modding it... it's "better" now but still a work in progress...

Anyway, after 6 hours I foiled it and tossed it back on for another 3 hours just to get it up to temp a little faster (dinner guests were starting to get whiney, bah it was only 6pm) then unwrapped it once the bone was real loose just to crisp it back up a little.

Tossed some summer squash and zuccini coated with EVOO, salt and pepper on the grate, whipped up some bacon/ranch pasta salad and pigged out.

All in all, not bad for a 1st attempt. Nobody wanted sauce on it so I guess I did ok. :becky: I personally thought the rub needed work. Was still better than almost any pulled pork I've ever had in a resturaunt.

Lessons learned:
1. Start cooking earlier.
2. The ECB is great for me being a total noob, but after this first cook I realized it can be way better. It's getting there.
3. I need to expand my base of rubs and sauces. What worked on the gas/in the oven doesn't seem to always translate right with smoke.
4. This is addicting. I want to Q EVERYTHING now.

Going to try a butt next weekend see if I can improve the flavor a bit and see how much better the ECB works now that the airflow has been tweaked and I'm not having to open the door to add more charcoal.

Attachments

• phpC0LW6LAM.jpg
    phpC0LW6LAM.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Be careful....it's very addictive. Expect to see on of us on the Intervention tv show some day!! Lol

I used to post cell phone pics like that too!:thumb::cool:

Welcome to the addiction!

Having a pit you really have to master like that for your first cooker can actually be a good thing. Look at all the stuff you're learning. When you go to buy your next cooker, you will have a much better idea of what you really want.:wink:

Do you have the cabinet style 1 door Brinkmann? I picked up one off of CL for $10 & did a 6# shoulder & dealt with a ton of temp swings. The only mod I have done so far is drilling a ton of holes in the charcoal bowl. I'm going to seal all the seams with some aluminum heat tape when I get a few minutes of spare time.

Do you have the cabinet style 1 door Brinkmann? I picked up one off of CL for $10 & did a 6# shoulder & dealt with a ton of temp swings. The only mod I have done so far is drilling a ton of holes in the charcoal bowl. I'm going to seal all the seams with some aluminum heat tape when I get a few minutes of spare time.

I have the smoke and grill (WSM knockoff). I've drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the charcoal bowl (and am currently using the very high tech method of a brick underneath to adjust the airflow), added a grate to hold the coals and reversed the legs so the smoker can be lifted off the charcoal bowl. Next up is sealing the dome, adding a top vent and adding some real temp guages.

Looks good...welcome to the addiction. Google ECB mods and have fun modding, :thumb:

I'd hit that! Welcome brother, I started with a drum and 8 months later I ponied up and burned through way too much of my tax return on an offset. Be careful, before long you will be justifying all sorts of purchases to feed the addiction :)

That looks great and, welcome to the adventure!

Welcome!!!! nice job on first attempt... It only gets worse from here tell your family to get ready to eat a chit load of Q!!! and SMoke on Brother!!!:thumb:

Looks likes ya done way good there:thumb: That mayo thing is interesting too. I've slathered Spanish mac with it before grilling and had great results. Will hafta try it on pork:p

Looks like you got a great start! I started with an ECB (a Brinkmann Gourmet) and modded the heck out of it. Enjoy the addiction!

Back