Weber kettle, worth it?

D

Dozer217

Is the Weber kettle 22' or 18' worth the extra money over a brinkman, kingsford etc.? Is it that much more efficient in making BBQ? I would mainly be using it for assisting my NB smoker and for small stuff like making dinner for the family, burgers, dogs, and chicken maybe an occasional butt.

If you can find one on Craigslist you can get a Weber for less than the price of a Brinkman or Kingsford. This is a good time of year to find them.

I am a pretty big fan of everything weber. I agree you can probbly get one on craigs list pretty cheap this time of year.

Dozer -
Heed the advice of the all-wise Spydermike.
I scored a one-touch gold for $40 (like new) and a one-touch silver for $15 (also like new).
Deals are there to be had.
Is it worth spending the extra $$ to get a Weber? I would say yes. There is a saying on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board site - Buy the best and only cry once.

Yes. You can find gently used ones on CL. I even saw the Silvers marked down and Wal-Mart yesterday. You can't go wrong with the Weber and the extra money will pay off in the long run with quality and reliability. Plus, the customer sevice you get with Weber is top notch. IMHO it's also a great smoker too. I've done brisket and butts in the kettle with fantastic results. I've owned Charbroils, and other types of grills. They may be a bit bigger on the grate, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have two kettles than one larger one of any brand. That's just me. But I love my kettles.

I would recommend you look at CL. Since you want one as a backup, you can get a very gently used one for a lot less if you look around. Some may only need a good cleaning to work and look like new again.

While at Wal-Mart the other day, I noticed quite a few different types of grills and smokers on close out. The Kingsford grills were nice, but the craftsmanship was weak. I could see the hinges weren't very strong and the crank lever that raises and lowers the coal grate was also not a very good design and somewhat fragile.
The good thing about the kettles are the fact that there aren't a whole bunch of moving parts to wear out or break. Bout the only problem I can see on my kettle is that the legs are getting a bit wobbly and now come out of the socket when I move it around. A few well placed self tapping screws will fix that problem easily though.

I guess you can tell I recommend the Kettle!:-D

P.S. Go with the 22.5 kettle. You'll appreciate the extra room later on. If I ever need more grilling space, then I fire up my 18.5 right beside it.

Another vote for the webers here. If you can find a 22" it is more versatile than the 18" IMO and you get the added benefit of having a lid if you wish to build a UDS down the line.

I had Webers, then decided to try something else, thinking I was missing out. I now only own Weber grills. They really are the best "bang for the buck". My family thinks I'm strange, though. I'll have a family get-together from time to time. When I do, I'll have a WSM, a 22.5, an 18, and a Smokey Joe going at the same time. I never hear them complain about the food, though.

A Weber 22 is IMHO the best single all-around cooking apparatus one can own.

Disclosure: I own one.

If you get the 22" and you think you are going to use it to assist your other grill.....Be careful, I bet the Weber will become primary..If you really understand how the Weber works, they are very hard to beat!!!!

...Bout the only problem I can see on my kettle is that the legs are getting a bit wobbly and now come out of the socket when I move it around. A few well placed self tapping screws will fix that problem easily though.
If you insert a piece of wood (about 4 inches long) that fits tightly into the aluminum tube first, the screws hold better. (Even without the screws will keep the leg from falling out. Adding the wood increases the "stiffness") I used a paint roller extension handle and it fit very securely.

Is the Weber kettle 22' or 18' worth the extra money over a brinkman, kingsford etc.? Is it that much more efficient in making BBQ? I would mainly be using it for assisting my NB smoker and for small stuff like making dinner for the family, burgers, dogs, and chicken maybe an occasional butt.

There is no question about it. What I've put my 22" kettle through in 4 years could never be matched by either of the others. That goes in terms of durability and cooking ability.

If you insert a piece of wood (about 4 inches long) that fits tightly into the aluminum tube first, the screws hold better. (Even without the screws will keep the leg from falling out. Adding the wood increases the "stiffness") I used a paint roller extension handle and it fit very securely.

Good tip. I'll do that. Thanks.

I love all my Weber's but the kettle can't be beat for grilling, indirect or direct, smoking and jsut about anything else you care to do with food. I've baked on mine!

It is a tank that will last a long time if taken care of properly. Mine is a 1956!
100_1084.jpg

By the way, also look at yard sales, I got mine for $2.00 at one!

Jim

That is brilliant Clark!! Thanks for the idea!!

I bought my red OTG in like new condition for $20 on CL last year about this time.
I have 3 kettles, and use them all.

Is the Weber kettle 22' or 18' worth the extra money over a brinkman, kingsford etc.? Is it that much more efficient in making BBQ?

"Yep"...!!!

Back