THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

SmokeInDaEye

I've been playing with this tropic-themed sauce, possibly to use on chicken at the Hudson Valley Rib Fest. It's got a great balance of sweet and heat but it's darn yellow and I'm not sure how judges tend to feel towards brighter, non-red sauces or glazes. Has anyone had any luck or failure with yellow sauces?

As an aside, Phil, I found a solution for that beefy tasting sauce you tried at Grill Kings. Couldn't fix the sauce so I've hired some guy to raise cows that taste like barbecue sauce. Figured it will balance out in the wash.:wink:

I don't know about the yellow sauce. I know that at Guitarbeque the best tasting chicken I judged had a yellow - almost clear - sauce on it. But it sure wasn't the best looking. I don't know if it was because it was yellow, or because it looked like it was baked, not Q'd.

Worry the most about the taste. The judges are looking for BBQ chicken -whatever that means in their heads. It's got to taste like barbeque. It may be great, but if it's not BBQ to them, you'll score low.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Thanks! That's what my gut was telling me.

The flavors work well with smoked chicken but it's probably in our best interest to be less ambitious in our first sanctioned competition. Maybe a more tradition flavor (and color) sauce to finish the ribs and chicken, while leaving the brisket and shoulder natural.

Maybe there's an ingredient you can add that will give you a more traditional color without dramatically changing the flavor? If the sauce is good, it'd be worth a little experimentation to make it more visually appealing to the judges. My brain's not working too good right now, but if I think of anything, I'll post it. What other flavor elements do you have going on?

Aw come on, you cooks don't give us judges much credit.. It's not called red BBQ sauce, it's called BBQ sauce. If all your lookin at is the same old red looking thick sauce you don't think a yellow/clear glaze isn't going to peak my interest? And when it gets to tasting, if it refreshing and different I sure wouldn't hesitate to give it it's proper score...
You get a table of receptive judges it might be a hit!!
Just my 2
ModelMaker

Hummmmm I have to think Ouch but as a nonconformist I still have to visualize the yellow as a good think? must pounder Send Beer GRiN

Kirk said:
Maybe there's an ingredient you can add that will give you a more traditional color without dramatically changing the flavor?

Hmmm. Not a bad thought. I had tried a tomato base originally but it tasted like some weird fruity Bobby Flay-ish catsup.

But a well flavored paprika could provide enough tint to give it a nice dark orange color. Can't add anything with too much spice since it's got a nice subtle afterburn from scotch bonnet peppers. Back to the mind lab...

You have received some good advice above.
I would consider whether I was there to "win" or to "have fun" in this case.
We have several threads about "pushing the limits" and you seem to feel that is what you would be doing.
I am not sure you are "way out there", but definitely sounds different.:lol:

You just need to make a decision as to your goals.
"Mainstream" entries are safer.
"Innovative" entries may score very high or very low.
In either case, you have to like and be comfortable with your entry.
Go from there.

Good luck no matter what you do.

TIM

Thanks, Tim and everyone else. We still have a few weeks to play around.

Kirk said:
Maybe there's an ingredient you can add that will give you a more traditional color without dramatically changing the flavor? If the sauce is good, it'd be worth a little experimentation to make it more visually appealing to the judges. My brain's not working too good right now, but if I think of anything, I'll post it. What other flavor elements do you have going on?
----------------------------------------------

I get in trouble everytime I stray into "COMP' territory ..... BUT .... red food coloring is used in some Tandoori chicken recipes to give a very red appearance (although the Tandoori can cook very hot vs 'low and slow'). You might try small amounts to see the effect since I doubt any impact on taste.

Just a thought.

This Judge certainly would not be concerned with a yellow sauce. I have used a honey mustard glaze to finish off some of my smoked chicken at home.
Also when I do my pork butt, I always try to have a mustard-based sauce on the side along with the red and vinegar based to satisfy both ends of the South traditions along with the local eastern oriented folks.
There should be no bias in my opinion on the sauce color. It sounds real good.
Good luck,
Wes

What is the consensus on a white sauce such as Big Bob Gibson's for chicken. Is that considered on the fringe or "safe". Has anybody used it in Comp? Results? I love the taste, don't mind the color (or lack of). A penny for your thoughts....

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I've always wondered about that sauce but have yet to try it.

Found a modified recipe for it and will make a batch soon. The thought of mayo on warm meat seems a bit unnerving, though. On the other hand, if you increased the vinegar and added a shredded cabbage, I could imagine it would make a pretty mean coleslaw.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

I love the Gibson sauce, I have added Hungarian Smoked Paprika to is that even gives it more depth and that nifty reddish tint. I have used the mustard based stuff but only for comp. in the south east where it is widely accepted. My thought is if it is not a huge contest and you want to have some fun try something new, you might do well you might do bad. But I am pretty sure you will have fun

I am pretty sure they don't use it in comp. but this is sauce for poultry that made Bob Gibson a legend, story has it though that the recipe was so freely handed out, everyone in that area of Alabama uses it in their restaurants.

SmokeInDaEye said:
I've always wondered about that sauce but have yet to try it.

Found a modified recipe for it and will make a batch soon. The thought of mayo on warm meat seems a bit unnerving, though. On the other hand, if you increased the vinegar and added a shredded cabbage, I could imagine it would make a pretty mean coleslaw.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

Hey, smokeindaeye; Remember that mayo is 90% plus a vegetable oil of some kind, just in an emulsified form. No reason to shy from using it in a meat or poultry sauce or baste. The fat being in the form of mayo just helps it adhere to the meat.

Thanks, qman. Have never considered it but am looking forward to testing it out ASAP.

- Clint

I've never tried the Gibson's white sauce or other versions of it and probably wouldn't since I hate mayo, but I do recall watching a few different pieces on the Food Network with Chris Lilly on various BBQ shows showing the stuff.

What they showed was Chris Lilly dunking hot whole chickens right off the pit into the bucket of the white sauce. Since the birds were so hot, the sauce practically cooked on the bird and in less than a minute you barely noticed the white sauce being so white.

Back