Soggy Bark?

Butt Rubb'n BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I never wrapped before i started competing. Now that I wrap at contest my bark is always soggy and rubs off. What in the heck is going on. How do you get hard bark after foiling. Please help!

For brisket, I foil in a pan fat side down. The outer edges of the brisket do end up somewhat submerged in juice, and steam does soften the bark, but if it was properly set before going into the pan, it shouldn't come off without direct contact. If you handle the brisket VERY carefully and DON'T TOUCH the bark AT ALL, you can place it back on the pit and about 10-15 minutes of 300* or higher will set that bark again. Insulated gloves or a large spatula are probably your best bet for moving it without messing up the bark.

in many posts from winning competitors in the past the sacrifice of bark for tenderness is accepted. i think this is misleading for a new competitor who tries for great bark, which is in my oppinion a component of great bbq, and is scored down on tenderness.

I don't wrap ribs anymore. Haven't for a couple years now, and haven't looked back yet. But you almost have to use a water cooker to get them done without tbe bark turning too dark.

how do you place with that?

how do you place with that?

So far so good, but I only do a few comps a year. Last year I took 7th ribs in a pretty well established KCBS comp in Slidell, and a 3rd out of about 50 teams in an IBCA event. On average my scores have been higher without wrapping than with. I dont think ive finished outside the top 20 since switching. They are still plenty sweet, thanks to the sauce.

I think that when people talk about getting "layers" of flavor by wrapping, I believe that they are usually accomplishing the opposite. When I used to wrap my ribs became saturated inside and out with the same flavor due to sitting in all that sweet liquid. On top of that it was creating "jerky bark" when the outer layer of the sugar soaked ribs dried and caramelized during the final stage out of the foil.

I don't think all this is a concern with butts and briskets. They are much thicker and don't soak up much when left whole unlike ribs.

One of my teamates (the one in charge of brisket) wants to foil first and then finish without the foil. Seems to me that might be the wrong way to go and the brisket will not take on any smoke. We'll let him do t this one contest and see how it goes.

When cooking low and slow, I foil around 165 (I actually use a pan and cover with foil, fat side down. Then at 190, open the foil up to re-set the bark.

Slrry, just realized I was in the comp area. I do not do comps - mods you can delete if needed.

One of my teamates (the one in charge of brisket) wants to foil first and then finish without the foil. Seems to me that might be the wrong way to go and the brisket will not take on any smoke. We'll let him do t this one contest and see how it goes.
Please let us know how that turns out for you....:crazy:

Brisket Bark is way over rated............. My best briskets have mushy Bark.

Please let us know how that turns out for you....:crazy:

Oh I will. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Like I said this is his thing. I'm trying to be a good teammate and let him roll with it. Sometimes the best thing is to let someone learn the hard way.

Who knows maybe it'll turn out better than his previous tries.

I can't see how the brisket will ever get any smoke flavor that way.

I can't either but like I said sometimes you have to let people learn the hard way.

Butcher paper. I never have problems with bark
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruBmd4VaPxU&sns=em"]J$ vault comp brisket practice - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nWrOMySBU&sns=em"]J$ Pitmaker brisket practice - YouTube[/ame]

Back