Brisket Question - how to probe it?

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I think I'm doing something wrong. I put my Brisket on at 7 PM, its been mostly 225-245 degrees. My remote probe is showing the meat at 160. I know there are some stall points, but I'm guessing I'm putting it in the wrong place.

Where should I place this thing? Its a Maverick 732. I have it near the front of the flat, going in the side.

-Dan

Have you calibrated your thermometer lately. Throw on a pot of boiling water and make sure your hitting approx 212.
Sounds like your checking it correctly. I put my probe into the side of the brisket into the thickest part.

Probe the thickest part of the flat.

Remember that internal temp is just a guideline. The real test for done is by feel.

Also make sure you are in meat and not a fat pocket.

In the top of the flat near the point is best. That's where your best pieces are going to come from in the brisket. The stall can last a long time, if you want to speed it up then wrap it in foil.

7pm? based on your MI timezone..........you've got a long way to go. it's done when it's done. cooking at those temps it could possibly take 4+ hours to get through the stall. crank up the temp. thank me later......

Howdy,

Thanks guys. Being a digital probe, you can't callobrate these right? Also, I tested it with my other probe, and they're both reading the same.

I'm going to move the probe as suggested.

chris - if the stall will take 4+ hours, I'm ok with that. Its 11 pm here. 7 pm was 4 hours ago. I was initially thinking this would take 15-16 hours. I'll take all that advice and let it cook without worrying about it too much.

From what I'm gathering here, Brisket internal temps aren't exactly normal like you'd see in a pork butt?

Back