• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Recording State Championships

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As I look at the KCBS.us website for June and July, it looks like a lot of competitions are noted as being state championships. I know that a few got into the system before the BOD changed the procedure, but there are an awful lot of them. I may have missed it on here or in BOD minutes, but does any one know if the decision to stop recording State Chamionships has been changed? If so, any word on how that affects the new procedures for getting invited to the ARI or the process for The Jack?

Thanks,

dmp

It is my understanding that KCBS stopped reporting who the winners of State Championship events are to the AR and Jack. The did not stop tracking whether or not contests are State Championships.

I contacted the KCBS office recently and was given the paperwork needed for the American Royal invitational and was told they would take care of informing folks at The Jack.

My understanding was that the KCBS BOD voted to stop tracking state championships, not reporting them. The agenda item and minutes can be found in this post. I distinctly remember hearing in one of the meetings that a few got through on the website, but they were going to stop immediately. I remember the old thread, but last I heard, the Jack question was on answered. Thanks for the update, though I expect I'll be ready to make a phone call here soon.

I'm not trying to rehash the whole conversation, but if the KCBS has decided to start keeping track of it again, it's nice to know.

dmp

My understanding was that the KCBS BOD voted to stop tracking state championships, not reporting them. The agenda item and minutes can be found in this post. I distinctly remember hearing in one of the meetings that a few got through on the website, but they were going to stop immediately. I remember the old thread, but last I heard, the Jack question was on answered. Thanks for the update, though I expect I'll be ready to make a phone call here soon.

I'm not trying to rehash the whole conversation, but if the KCBS has decided to start keeping track of it again, it's nice to know.

dmp

KCBS will be providing information to the Jack.

KCBS will be providing information to the Jack.

Why just the Jack?
The American Royal is a KCBS sanctioned event, the Jack isn't.
The list would be identical to the one given to the Royal, I find that VERY strange.

The American Royal has their own procedure in place for invitational selection. Please know that KCBS has and is reaching out to assist organizers to meet requirements for qualification to the American Royal Invitational.

To be fair, the new AR process is in response to the decision of the KCBS to stop tracking state championships. If the KCBS is tracking them again (and it appears that they are based on comments here), I wonder if the AR wouldn't go back to the old way of doing things if KCBS would send them that list. On the other hand, based on another thread, KCBS "provides a service" to The Jack, and the tracking of State Championships may be part of that service. Perhaps if the AR paid more than a sanctioning fee.....ahh the joys of big business:)

dmp

To be fair, the new AR process is in response to the decision of the KCBS to stop tracking state championships. If the KCBS is tracking them again (and it appears that they are based on comments here), I wonder if the AR wouldn't go back to the old way of doing things if KCBS would send them that list. On the other hand, based on another thread, KCBS "provides a service" to The Jack, and the tracking of State Championships may be part of that service. Perhaps if the AR paid more than a sanctioning fee.....ahh the joys of big business:)

dmp

Chicken or egg ? Doesn't really matter. The AR has no interest in going back to the old way. In fact I won't be surprised if they have a totally different system in place next year for what constitutes a qualifier.

Chicken or egg ? Doesn't really matter.

I beg to differ about whether or not it matters. Saying that you (and I'm talking to you as a BOD) don't need to send information to the AR because they have another way to get that information because you made a conscious decision not to send them the information in the first place is disingenuous.

I don’t think you were on the BOD when this vote happened, but the more current board members dance around the issue the more it sounds to me like some one realized that a screw up was made and it has been corrected, hoping that no one finds out. That’s just coming from me, as a person who appreciates straight forward answers. I’m sure I’m in the minority, so don’t worry about it.

dmp

I beg to differ about whether or not it matters. Saying that you (and I'm talking to you as a BOD) don't need to send information to the AR because they have another way to get that information because you made a conscious decision not to send them the information in the first place is disingenuous.

I don’t think you were on the BOD when this vote happened, but the more current board members dance around the issue the more it sounds to me like some one realized that a screw up was made and it has been corrected, hoping that no one finds out. That’s just coming from me, as a person who appreciates straight forward answers. I’m sure I’m in the minority, so don’t worry about it.

dmp

Speaking solely for myself.....

The offer was made to the Royal. It was declined. Steve stated pretty clearly that the Royal had no interest in returning to the past procedure. That's a fact. They have their current process which they prefer to use. I was on the call.

It's their contest, and they have made the decision that this is the best course for them. As a member of the board I wish them well with it, and will be happy to do anything I can to help if they ever feel the need to ask.

EDIT: And speaking absolutely for myself and myself alone, I think you owe Steve a apology. I don't think he was disingenuous at all. You may not have taken it that way, without knowing the facts, but he told you the truth and I don't know that he danced around anything.

I had one of my (probably infamous) long posts written about this, but I decided that it would probably just end up throwing fuel on an almost dead fire. I understand that when a person is in a public position he cannot always say some things, especially in a "written" medium. I tried to start this thread by not antagonizing any one and by accepting whatever information I received. Still, that the AR's new system is in place because of a past KCBS decision was glossed over, and that The KCBS offered to provide SC information to The AR was omitted. In hindsight, knowing the facts now, what was said was true and makes sense, but the omissions to me meet the very definition of disingenuous. I am truly sorry if my initial comments came off as an attack, because that was not the intent, but I've never been one to accept partial truths nor to avoid asking tough questions. Non-argumentative responses to the truth and complete information when possible are the best ways to avoid ugly conversations in these on-line media. (I'm not completely innocent in this area!)

dmp

Back