Al's Friday Night Surf and Turf with a side of prOn...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I started off with about a four pound New York strip roast I picked up for $4.50 per pound. I bought it last week and ended up vacu-sucking and freezing it. I pulled it from the freezer on Tuesday to thaw in the fridge. Rubbed the roast with a homemade Czervik Montreal Steak seasoning. Notice the frosty brew and the even frostier back yard... Temp outside was in the nipply mid twenties. :tsk: This went on the Traeger at 250 with hickory for a total of about 2 hours. I pulled when it got to 124.

edit_preview.php

Dungeoness crab is always on sale this time of year so we picked up a nice two pounder. The butcher popped the top and cleaned some of it and left us with the money pieces. Notice the level of the beverage must be shrinking due to the cold...:heh:

edit_preview.php

My BIL offered to pick all the goodies from the shell and I gladly let him have at it. It must have made him very thirsty while he was constructing this nice pile... :shocked:

edit_preview.php

Costco had 13-15 count Tiger prawns that I just couldn't resist. Seasoned later with garlic, lemon herb, pepper and season salt after brushing lightly with EVOO. How does this beer keep refilling itself? :confused:

edit_preview.php

The crab and shrimp were feeling kind of lonely so we thought we'd invite some "Mongo" scallops along for the ride too... Only three of us really like them so we only picked up eleven. :rolleyes: BIL ended up cooking these on the Performer in a CI skillet with some EVOO, onion and other spices of his choosing.

edit_preview.php

What surf and turf meal would be complete with out some maple planked salmon? They were spiced up the same as the prawns. The planks would go on the gasser till they began to smoke, and then the lightly EVOO brushed fillets placed on top. :becky:

edit_preview.php

Now here's where the picture wheels came off the rails. We had the Traeger going, the Performer going, and the gasser que'd up and ready to roll. In the meantime, I had put together a shredded potato dish with garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar and assorted other spices. No meal at the Czervik's would be complete without brocolli, and to complicate matters we also made up a garlic herb cheese sauce and added the crab cleaned earlier. Suffice it to say with all the plates up in the air, all the meat on the grills, the potatos in the oven, the brocolli and creamy crab sauce on the burners, and the Silver Back Mountain Gorillas flying out of my butt at the same time, I didn't get a chance to snap any other action shots. :doh: So here we have the finished meal. I had to take the pictures in a real hurry while everyone plated up and started to chow down. The spuds are in the back, the salmon with the creamy crab sauce is on the sides and the couple scallops I was able to snag are up front on top of the prawns. They kind of get lost in the contrast.

edit_preview.php

A little closer shot...

edit_preview.php

Money shot...

edit_preview.php

I know it's kind of a mess, but I wanted to eat it before it got cold. I didn't have time to fark around much with a better layout or a nice fork shot. :tsk: Everyone was really stoked about how the meal turned out, and so was I. The beef was tasty and perfectly done, the prawns and scallops were tender and juicy, and the salmon took on just the right amount of flavor from the planks. I ended up drizzling more of the sauce on just about everything, and the potatos were enough to put me over the top. I'm still thanking the Baby Cheeses for the stretchy pants I had on. :heh:

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

Whew...I'm glad the Silver Back Mountain Gorillas didn't get to it before you guys did! I was on the edge of my seat with that one! :laugh: Nice looking meal, Al!

Whew...I'm glad the Silver Back Mountain Gorillas didn't get to it before you guys did! I was on the edge of my seat with that one! :laugh: Nice looking meal, Al!

Yeah... Those farkers can make it a real challenge to take pictures and also eat (not to mention sit down the next day) :tsk:
silverback-gorilla.jpg

One or two aren't bad, but any more than that and I have to call out the animal control people... :doh:

Al, looks like something the cooking mags should be paying you for.:clap:

Fantastic!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Very sweet! Thats one of the best looking spreads I've seen on here!!! The Guiness though:shock:....way to strong for me! I'd bring my own Ziegenbock though for that outstanding meal!

Very sweet! Thats one of the best looking spreads I've seen on here!!! The Guiness though:shock:....way to strong for me! I'd bring my own Ziegenbock though for that outstanding meal!

burkett_media_ziegen_bock_watchfire_digital_outdoor_led_sign_e_16mm.jpg

Never had it but would love to give it a taste test... It's my birthday tomorrow so maybe you can send me some. :pray::becky:

Winner winner winner! Outstanding Al. Thanks for cooking this early. Now I don't have to come up with an entry because this is the automatic winner :thumb:

BTW, you said nipply :heh:

Great lookin' grub there!

i've encountered some of them beers that evaporate when it's hot & contract when it's cold.

Winner winner winner! Outstanding Al. Thanks for cooking this early. Now I don't have to come up with an entry because this is the automatic winner :thumb:

BTW, you said nipply :heh:

Come on colonel. You're not getting off the hook on this one. It's your birthday on the first so you are obliged to enter. Not to mention I get the impression you are bailing on the Helsinki trip... :tsk: (and it was nipply out there)

Last edited:
Fantastic! I too am glad I don't have to enter now, because that one can't be beat!:heh: Absolutely perfect.

Back