• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Major Disappointment

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Was all set to go out and make pizza for my son on the smoker, and found that the dang pizza stone doesn't fit! Chit!! The Keg is 18.5" and the stone is 15"x15" square. It never occurred to me that it would be a problem, but it is. If I had gotten the round one, it would have worked. But I got the square one because I had been told it's much more versatile than the round one, and I thought 15" is 15", so what difference would it make? It made a difference. :eusa_clap:tsk::roll:

Well, I'll still make pizza for the kid. We'll just have to do it in the oven, is all. I'll send the stone back and get the round one. Dang!! :tsk:

picture.php

1455314a78f39a594485adbaf74d63f9.png

And you thought you'd never use Geometry again. :p

Bummer!:mad2:

I'm sure the pizza you cook for him, Tish, he will enjoy immensely!

Thank the fella' for his Service and have a Merry Christmas!

Yep, since dad made it that is all that will matter.

brickie

Thanks, Bandit!

That may be the way to go with pizza on the keg, Tish. Just flip the grate over so the flat, broad sides of the grates are facing up. And, if you have a diffuser, use it to deflect the direct heat.

Tish... you should be ok... you do have a multiple choice question.

A. Gas
B. Lump

(Do you have a diffuser for the keg? Should be good for fire roasted pizza ~ )

Just as Bo suggested, flip over the cast iron grate... flat and smooth surfaces. :thumb:
Crank her up somewhere between 500*-600*... and don't walk away from it once the pizza is on.

(Some have turbo-toasted over 700* - not recommended the first time out)

Last edited:
Nothing like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. My deepest condolences. I like the solution offered with the Bubba Keg, good work, brethren.

Don't you ever watch the Jetsons?

After a ten minute space ride (everyone protests the grueling trip!), George arrives at Camp Nebula to find that Mr. Spacely turns out to be the commanding officer—and so the nightmare comes true.

His first order to everyone is: "Take the men to the indoctrination center!" And off they go. Spacely asks: "who wants to be the first to be indoctrinated?" Of course George is chosen. It begins with a buzz haircut, a medical exam, and an eye exam. Then comes the IQ exam, which George passes because he is able to put square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes.

The next person takes the same IQ test, and breaks the machine after trying to cram a square peg in a round hold. The robot machine in charge announces, "original thinking shows leadership potential" and tags him "officer material . . . congratulations!"

Thanks, guys! You're cracking me up! lol

I was really disappointed because I wanted to let Michael play with the smoker. After I wrote, I went out and stuck the pizza in the oven instead. So now we're full, and I come back and see BBQ Bandit's solution to the problem. :doh: I should have realized there was a way around this. I'll know better for next time.

Unfortunately, next time I make pizza, the boy will already be gone. He leaves in the morning. Just to show you what a great kid he is, though, he told me not to worry about it because now he'll have something really fantastic to look forward to when he gets back from A-stan. That did make me feel a tiny bit better. Do I have an amazing kid, or what?!!!?!:nod::-D

You sure do, let him know we're proud of him too.

You sure do, let him know we're proud of him too.

Thanks, Norm! Will do!! :thumb:

I normally don't use a stone on my KEG. Just clean and oil the CI grate and put the dough right on the grate. Never had any problems. I pre-cook the dough for a couple minutes on each side, pull off, add toppings and back on the grate. Makes one of the best pizza's I've ever eaten.

That's what I've been hearing, eddie! I've been given several options thus far. I will most likely be going with one of these, and not using the stone at all. Thanks for all the help, guys! :wink:

Experience has shown me that if you work with something long enough it will fit.
I bet a 4" angle grinder could fix that pizza stone in a hurry : )

Back