• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wrap meat in plastic wrap vs foil

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have never wrapped in plastic wrap but one of the teams did tonight on bbq pitmasters.

Does anyone do this? The team said it protects the color and moisture without speeding up the cook time like foil does

The judges were skeptical but the guy has been winning championships sinve 1989 so its nothing new to him

I might give it a try..anyone have expierence with this?

My obvious concern would be the plastic melting. Not sure what temp he was cooking at

It's true that for the most part, plastic wrap won't melt at smoking temps. Typically you need to get closer to 375-400 degrees before that becomes a concern.

I have used plastic wrap more for reheating/keeping temp than during an actual cook. The plastic wrap will hold as high as 275(I have not tested it higher) but I always have it farthest from the firebox. The wrap does seem to steam/ keep the meat moist.

I assume some plastic wrap is better than others for this? Or will any old cheap brand work?

I use the plastic wrap from Sam's Club catering size (nothing special). I would not go out and find the cheapest wrap made because I would not want to wreck a brisket or pork butt but I have not gone out and purchased something that is top of the line plastic wrap either.

If I am finishing my ribs at home in the oven I will plastic wrap and place on a cookie sheet just to keep the mess down.(and the wife happy)

Since I use fire to smoke meats, there is no way I would use plastic wrap on any of my meat while cooking, especially if you have a low end smoker where there is a tendency for spikes in temps during the cooking process. I saw the team that used plastic as well, but I am always cautious about using a technique that isn't common. Additionally, it seems like that team may have used a pellet smoker (cannot remember) Yes, that team may win comps, but we don't know what steps might have been omitted when the filming took place. IMHO

Was watching Restaurant Impossible last night and saw Robert Irvine cooking baby backs in the oven at 250 wrapped in plastic wrap. Looked pretty fall off the bone when he pulled them out.

Back