Packer brisket

Oldpro1946

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I would like to smoke a packer but I am afraid that it will be too large for my small smoker. Would there be a problem with cutting in half and smoke it on 2 levels? Or should I just stick with a flat and smoke that. Thanks.

If you think it wont fit, you're best off just smoking a flat. The packer is really only good, to do it as a packer, otherwise I PERSONALLY dont feel it holds much merit split in half. However doing a flat isn't as fun as a packer either in my opinion. I built a UDS just so i could do packers and not just flats :p

if a flat will fit on your smoker i would suggest separating the point from the flat. cook the point on the lower level since since thats where the burnt ends come from and there is more fat that can render out from it.

You can prop it up in the middle with something like a rib or roasting rack until it shrinks enough to fit.

How big is your smoker? You can find smaller packers (around 10 lbs) that may fit.

I agree that it is best to cook in one piece. HeSmellsLikeSmoke's ides of using a rib rack or even a metal bowl to hold up the middle until it shrinks. I've done that in my 18.5" WSM before.

If you do buy one and want to split it i would separate the point and flat as Southern Style suggests, but I would put the point above the flat and let the fat rendering from the point baste the flat.

Never seperated the point from flat pre-cook.

For a wsm, you can usually cut a pretty good sized chunk off the point end without getting into the flat, cutting down the length of the packer to make it fit better. That way it'll cook like a whole packer and you'll even get more bark. Leave the chunk on the whole time for better fat rendering, and it's a great start for burnt ends.

I have 3 levels of grates that are 11.75" X 13.75". I have never seen a packer but I assume that it would be too large to fit on 1 grate.

We split ours in half before cooking. I don't think it matters too much. It should cook the same, no matter what size it is. This reminds me of a post where a guy asked about taking a whole brisket and cubing it while it was still raw and turning the entire thing into burnt ends. It should work, no matter what size or shape you cut it into. Might make a marginal difference in competition cooking where marginal differences determine the winners & the losers, but for a home cook, I think it would go fine.

Just my opinion.

Back