Rebar Sticks???

wct

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Happy Easter fellow Bretheran, I have a home made upright smoker that I use only for Sausage, cheese and fish. I have been using 36 inch wooden dowels for hangars and for my racks to set on, but find myself changing them out because they warp all the time. A friend of mine suggested I use 1/2 inch Rebar which I have a pile of it left over from a project I did.

I have no idea what Rebar is made out of. I know it will be plenty strong enough, but wasn't sure about toxins, ect. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

Normal rebar is just regular structural steel. You're good.

and it won't get hot enough to give off anything harmful but there's nothing harmful for it to give off... Smoke on!

All the rebar i have ever seen are used has been raw steel so u should be fine using it in ur smoker

Yep, many including myself use rebar in constructing charcoal baskets for UDS's

Oh my,they are made of metal.They may rust, drop toxic toxins onto you food,!!!! Oh my!!! Chill cuz,the only way to go.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to cut them up tomorrow and put them in and be smoking summer sausage the next day.

Rebar works great.
I used to carry (4) 1/4" pieces of Rebar 18" long when we camped while canoeing rivers. I cooked over Dakota Fire Holes. Sometimes direct on the Rebar, sometimes it held a mess skillet. Worked great.

I seasoned my Rebar just like it was a cast Iron skillet.

Back