• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should I cover my new offset?

LorinB

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just got a new Old Country offset smoker that is made out of 1/4". It will be out in the weather and I'm assuming it needs to be covered. Is this true or can I just keep the paint up and let it weather? If I do need a cover, where can I get one? Will it have to be custom made or is there another source?

Thanks

I feel better keeping my cookers covered, but I have no idea if that's normal or not. :noidea:

You could look and see if the company that made your cooker makes covers, and if not see if another company makes a similar size one to the one you want. Charbroil makes covers of many sizes so it might be worth checking them out.

It is always nice to protect your stuff from tree sap, and chemicals in the rain. But, if you can't find a good cover, don't resort to one of those cheap blue tarps. Besides being ugly, they can do more damage to your paint than leaving it exposed to the weather.

The best thing for it, IMO, would be to build a roof above it, so it is covered, but can get air to it to stay dry.

CD

I had a canvas cover custom mfd for my smoker by Gianola Canvas in Sausalito, CA. Lia Gianola is the owner. Nice lady. I keep mine covered because the rust sets in pretty quickly if I don't. I've had friends say my smoker looks like I have a locomotive in my backyard. Yeah they're right, but at least it's not a rusty eyesore. One of these days I hope to build a shelter but for now the canvas works. Had it for over 3 years and we get some heavy winds - cover still looks great and is holding up well. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it, but I can post one if you want to see what it looks like. I'd think you could find a boat sail shop in Carolina that could help you. If not, check with Lia and see what she can do for you.

Congrats on your Old Country Smoker. Any pics and how do you like it? How were the shipping costs?

Find someone that makes custom boat covers. They can do easily.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

I kept mine covered with a good tarp, it was more of a tent. I feel if you keep it outside and covered it should be able to breath [ for a lack of a better term ] I did this for years without any ill effect to the paint.

I keep my Jambo in the garage and my car in the drive way. Whatever.

I do what Bo does. All cookers are in the garage and wife's Hummer sits in the driveway. Caught hell over it at first, but things have kinda cooled down now.

I've had my offset 20+ years and has always sat out in the elements. It has no rust, nada...no problems. Every once in awhile I'll give it a good rub down with some cooking oil and it brings the black paint back to life. :biggrin1:

I used to have a gas grill that I kept covered but the bugs & mice found it to be a good home. :sad:

I don't have an offset, but mine stays in the garage. It's a quick thing to roll it out for use.

My Old Country Brazos offset is real quarter inch (rolled) steel and has set uncovered outside on the patio for the 14 months since I bought it. After the first couple of cooks, the firebox started to rust a bit so I bought some Ospho (after asking advice on this forum). Wire brushed the rusty areas and applied the Ospho according to directions. Painted over the treated areas with high heat paint and haven't seen a spot of rust since.

Back