Got my first "3"

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I received my first ever 3, in taste, for chicken that ended up 3rd out of 41 teams. Here are my scores:

I'm just confused as to how one piece was perceived to be so much worse than the rest. No comment card either, so I'm at a loss for what that person thought. Part of me thinks it was possibly an 8 being read wrong, but who knows.

Sure looks like a mistake to me Pat, Libertyville had our most erratic scores of the year from judge to judge but nothing like that...I would have thought if it was a real 3 you would have gotten a comment card?

I got my first 6 of the year in appearance in pork along with 4 nines and an 8 if it makes you feel better:cry::-D

We had some unusual scores as well including a 4 in one category. that kind of thing bothers me more than seeing consistent low scores. How can one judge think your chicken was almost inedible while the others thought it was well above average? That just doesn't make sense.

Are scores were all over the place too. Lots of 9's followed by lots of 5's.

Hey, I got a similar thing at a National BBQ Festival comp. They judge appearance, taste, and tenderness, but use a scale from 6 to 10, 6 being lowest, 10 highest. For pork tenderness I got a coupla 10s, but also a 6. That's like getting a 9 from one judge and a 10 from another at a KCBS contest.

--frank in Wilson, NY

That's like getting a 9 from one judge and a 10 from another at a KCBS contest.

Whoops! I meant like getting a 9 from one judge and a *2* from another.

Gotta preview the farking posts before hitting "submit".

--frank in Wilson, NY

I would have taken that to the rep and asked them to double check. That does seem to be odd.

So I received my first ever 3, in taste, for chicken that ended up 3rd out of 41 teams. Here are my scores:

I'm just confused as to how one piece was perceived to be so much worse than the rest. No comment card either, so I'm at a loss for what that person thought. Part of me thinks it was possibly an 8 being read wrong, but who knows.

What is the description of a 3, I can't remember? I thought 4 was bad, so I am thinking 3 is inedible.

At my first comp judging, I scored a piece of creosote nasty piece of chicken a 4 and a severely undercooked send me to the ER rib bone a 4.

They must have read the scores wrong to get a 3. I hope I never have to taste a 3. :biggrin:

What is the description of a 3, I can't remember? I thought 4 was bad, so I am thinking 3 is inedible.

At my first comp judging, I scored a piece of creosote nasty piece of chicken a 4 and a severely undercooked send me to the ER rib bone a 4.

They must have read the scores wrong to get a 3. I hope I never have to taste a 3. :biggrin:

4 is Poor and 3 is bad

Would be nice that anything under a 5 required a comment card from the judge or confirmation with the table captain. I got a 3 in brisket a couple years ago and took it to the rep. She said she wouldn't serve brisket rated a 3 to her dog and then walked off. I now don't attend contest that rep does because
of continued scoring issues.

Would be nice that anything under a 5 required a comment card from the judge or confirmation with the table captain. I got a 3 in brisket a couple years ago and took it to the rep. She said she wouldn't serve brisket rated a 3 to her dog and then walked off. I now don't attend contest that rep does because
of continued scoring issues.

I agree, I'd like to know why it was bad. If it was a typo, that brings up another point. Maybe 3 and 4 should be written out three and four, so there's no confusion about 3/8 4/9.

I think KCBS keeps the cards for a period of time. I would call the office Monday and request a copy of the scorecards for that table.
ModelMaker

Also, a lone 3 like that should have been followed up with the judge by the table captain.

Definitely should have been followed up on by the table captain if in fact it was a 3. Maybe it was and the table captain was satisfied with the explanation but I think as a table captain (and I've never done it yet), I would want the judge to fill out a comment card (as long as we have them) to avoid you having to wonder about it.

1 contest I did this summer I got a 2 in chicken. All others were 8s &9s. went to the rep and said it was raw. So could be that one piece was not good. comment cards would be good

My scores were all over the place as well. I've never turned in a box that has deserved a 5. Not being arrogant either. Oh well. I had bags of food the judges cause they did so good. None stopped by though....

Congrats to Ryan. Don't want to tarnish his win.

dang, it sounds like it was probably recorded wrong. I wonder if KCBS could put numbers on the score cards and the judges could circle the one that they wanted and maybe that would take the possible chance of error out of the equation. Or mabe a bubble sheet like they use on college entrance exams.

Definitely should have been followed up on by the table captain if in fact it was a 3. Maybe it was and the table captain was satisfied with the explanation but I think as a table captain (and I've never done it yet), I would want the judge to fill out a comment card (as long as we have them) to avoid you having to wonder about it.

The table captain has no authority. When we act as table captains, we are there to assist the judges in following KCBS rules, ensuring that each judge writes the proper team number in the right place on the judging slip and plate, places the sample in the correct spot on their judging plate, circles the proper category on their judging slip, and that they have the correct table number.

It is not the table captain's job to ask for an explanation of the judge's scoring. That is the rep's responsibility, and since comment cards are voluntary, even a rep cannot require a judge to fill one out (though they can ask the judge, if that judge deigns to hang around after judging, WTF?)

Back