View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I don' t know much about either of the cookers, but the one advantage that I've heard about ole hickory pits is that the replacement parts are off the shelf parts that you could pick up at a Granger supply, vs southern pride's proprietary parts that you have to order direct.
This is a huge consideration, I have owned and operated both brands plus some of the Cookshack pellet units and you need to stock common service parts on the shelf at your commissary kitchen if you don't have an approved back up cooker you can put into service immediately.

As an example, OH uses common fan motors in the $40-$60.00 range that can be had off the shelf.

That same motor for a SP is going to set you back about $450.00 direct from them. You can source less costly replacements but the onus is on you to reverse engineer it for fit, shaft length, rpm, amp draw etc.

Plus no one in the service business has a clue how to service these things so it's on you as the principal owner to be able to troubleshoot and repair and Ole Hickory has amazing tech support.

Cookshack parts are downright ridiculous in price, and the cost of pellets for commercial use is confiscatory.

Were lucky enough to still be able to make use of stick burners with stainless prep shelves that alleviate the need for NSF cert. labeled cookers but if it ever comes back to it I'd bring OH pits back in as my first choice.